Original Post
Rebecca Allen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

What stuff I should newer buy?

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53

Black totems 

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

BLACK TOTEMS

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Multi-loop gear sling.  It is next to useless in the field and only somewhat useful for keeping your rack organized between climbs.  Even if you do climb with a gear sling, it’s better to be able to slide everything behind you, which is much more efficient on a single loop sling.

Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86

Dmm rhino biner- annoying to use in the field. Racks upside down due to how your gri gri has to sit.

Edelrid mixed dyneema/nylon slings- not all bad but too bulky to rack a bunch of doubles.  Still good for anchors, but prefer thin slings for gear extension.

Petzl spirit screw lockers- notoriously sticky gates.  I have had to cut myself out of anchors and carry pliers....  Switch to bds, not as nice but reliable.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Tricams.  Especially those little pink ones.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Rebecca Allen wrote: What stuff I should newer buy?

"Newer"? Provided you mean "never," here is seventeen pages of discussion on this very topic:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/108787320/dumbest-outdoor-gear-purchase?page=4#ForumMessage-108793566
Walter Edly · · Thomasville NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Gotta go with Ted on the multi loop sling.  It still has the tags on it.  A runner is better...

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

I'm gonna pile on the dislike for the shoulder sling. It has sat in the closet for years after I used it once.

I rack on my harness anyway so I'm not sure why I thought it would be useful. 

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Ted Pinson wrote: Multi-loop gear sling.  It is next to useless in the field and only somewhat useful for keeping your rack organized between climbs.  Even if you do climb with a gear sling, it’s better to be able to slide everything behind you, which is much more efficient on a single loop sling.

Never bought one (I have the single loop), but I did use a friends multi-loop once.  That thing was terrible, especially in a chimney.

MisterE Wolfe · · Grass Valley, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 8,092

The "Barbie Cam"

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

Wow so many things. Bd c4 size 5 and 6  full set splitter cams  weird wired tri cams from Eastern Europe camp yo yo belay device

Michael Catlett · · Middleburg, VA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 175

Ball Nuts......can’t place them when I carry them because I just can’t beleive they will hold a fall.

baldclimber · · Ottawa, Ontario, Canada · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6
djh860 wrote: camp yo yo belay device

I have one!  Bought some used gear ~13 years ago, seller included one.  Used twice, now somewhere in a gear bin.

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730

mammut’s belay sling. i can’t believe they made it or that i saw it in a discount bin and thought i’d try it. never been on the rock once. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Alpine Equalizer.

Actually, not useless because it DOES work but entirely superfluous.

Alan Zhan · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 156

my entire rack

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
petzl logic wrote: mammut’s belay sling. i can’t believe they made it or that i saw it in a discount bin and thought i’d try it. never been on the rock once. 

DUDE I want it.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Nick B wrote: Dmm rhino biner- annoying to use in the field. Racks upside down due to how your gri gri has to sit.
I love using the DMM Rhino with any ATC-style device. Feel free to send it to me.

Petzl spirit screw lockers- notoriously sticky gates.  I have had to cut myself out of anchors and carry pliers....  Switch to bds, not as nice but reliable.

Admittedly I've had this problem more with the Spirits than other biners, but if you climb in sandy areas this happens with all sorts of carabiners. The trick is to screw it tight, then turn back 1/4 turn.

Nathan · · Tel Aviv · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107

My Omega pacific link cam. I'd happily trade with some of you people talking shit about tricams. 

Snah Ntrm · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

A PAS

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What useless gear did you by?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started