Mountain Project Logo

Lost the edge

Original Post
Spencer Parkin · · Bountiful · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Sometimes I feel like cougar after a day of climbing...

Have you, or do you know anyone, who has given up climbing temporarily or permanently because they just got too scared or had too close a call?

It also makes a difference if you have a wife and kids.
Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Tons of people, above "average" climbers included, give it up for a variety of reasons. New risk analysis of the activity in relation to changing personal dynamics is a very common reason. 

Mark P. · · Luzern, Schweiz · Joined May 2013 · Points: 1,846

One thing you could consider is what other factors play into days when you "feel like Cougar." We're less able to deal with stress & fear when we're tired (drained or just not sleeping enough), not hydrated, hungry, etc, or if we're out of shape. And the beginning of the outdoor season (for those of us who retreat indoors during the winter) is also notorious for messing with what used to be solid lead heads, and just takes some time on the wall to get it back.  

Perhaps if you keep a log of your climbing and note your sleep, hydration, food, etc. you'll see a pattern.

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I became fat and weak for a while and it crushed my confidence.  Literally no hold felt trustworthy for a little bit.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

Yes, i know several people who have given up climbing, after a close call, or a death of a friend. Some have come back after 5+ years of hiatus. Some have not come back yet. Or maybe ever. I also know someone who kept climbing but changed the modality. No longer rope climbing, but still bouldering.

Alex CV · · Greater NYC area · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 235

A couple of decades ago, my group heard a person groundfall from the P1 anchor of Tequila Mockingbird at the Gunks, and we immediately ran over and helped with the rescue. Hearing the unmistakable sound of the body impact was really upsetting. He survived but was quite badly hurt. My wife was never the same afterwards, eventually quit climbing outdoors, and ultimately quit altogether. Having a couple of kids, fitness, etc. factored in too.

Two seasons ago, I sent my personal hardest trad route (not just hard for me but not well protected) and over the previous few years had done a number of relatively scary routes. But at the start of last year's spring season, my lead head was a mess. Very strange because there was no triggering event. Then I tore my shoulder labrum (not climbing) and I am just getting back indoors now. We'll see how I do in the fall season.

rob.calm · · Loveland, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 630
Mason Stone wrote: I like what Nietzsche said, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. 

Yah, like arthritis. Typical Nietzsche silliness.

rob.calm 
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 239

I don't know it is is "loosing the edge" or being wiser, but I do not trad as much as I used to and am just as happy TRing these days.  That said, I'll be 65 this year and can only listen to my body to judge the days limitations.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Lost the edge"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started