Mountain Project Logo

TC Pros Shrinkkng

Original Post
Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

Anyone experience the TC’s permintily shrinking when they get wet. Photo is a new NC in a 44 on the left and a used 43.5 on the right. The used pair did get completely saturated one day.  I also noticed a few small things that changed on them recently.  Anyone know if the shoe changed lasts or sizeing lately?

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Multiple pairs of mine shrunk from sweaty feet. Went from fairly comfy to fairly painful.  I’m kinda over them. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I've never had a problem with shrinkage. From TC Pros, anyway.

Mark Orsag · · Omaha, NE · Joined May 2013 · Points: 916

Never had that sort of problem or any problem but general wear and tear. Still my favorite climbing shoes. That does look just bizarre though.

Tee Kay · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 110

Have you, since then, worn them again and gotten them hot and sweaty?
Leather is known to shrink and change in size when wet/worn. I've had muiras feel tight and then warm up and they're back to comfy, only to have them dry out and rest again to tighten up some.
I never compared side by side like your pic, which seems like a stark difference...

Edit: shoes also occasionally size odd between them. The first pair of katana lace i ever ordered were two different sizes (both marked 37.5). i do have a foot discrepancy but these were opposite of that for me. So you're comparing these to a new shoe, but how different do they look than their sister shoe from your other foot? or did they both shrink?

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Tee Kay wrote: Have you, since then, worn them again and gotten them hot and sweaty?
Leather is known to shrink and change in size when wet/worn. I've had muiras feel tight and then warm up and they're back to comfy, only to have them dry out and rest again to tighten up some.
I never compared side by side like your pic, which seems like a stark difference...

They're a half-size different (44 and 43.5) so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that one is smaller than the other.

Leroy Fielding · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 23
David Kerkeslager wrote:

They're a half-size different (44 and 43.5) so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that one is smaller than the other.

The OP is saying the larger shoe in the pic is the 43.5 and the smaller shoe is the 44. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Leroy Fielding wrote:

The OP is saying the larger shoe in the pic is the 43.5 and the smaller shoe is the 44. 

You have it exactly backwards.

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

Did you leave them in a hot car?  I size my shoes based on the size they’ll be after I leave them in a hot car because that’s what happens every time. 

Tee Kay · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 110
David Kerkeslager wrote:

To be fair, that difference is greater than a half size (visually, at least). I did read the post and saw that...

Leroy Fielding · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 23
FrankPS wrote:

You have it exactly backwards.

Ha, thanks! Currently running a coffee and comprehension deficit. 

George Bracksieck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 3,393

I was disappointed by the stretch and loss of stiffness after only a couple climbs. I'm going to try the soak-shrinkage method on my TCs. 

I have climbed in them several times probably 20+ pitches since they got wet and are still noticeably smaller and less comfortable. 

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

if the shoes got wet and then dried without your feet on them, they will shrink in volume.

To reverse the process, simply re-wet them and let them dry with your feet still in them.... 

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

Shrinkage problems... Mine have been soaked and are definitely a size bigger than when I got them. 

Josh Landis · · Lewisburg, PA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 75

Shoe on the right has formed to your foot,  thats why it "appears" to be drastically smaller, it's not,  it just doesnt have the flat elongated bottom anymore.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Good intel here because I just got a great deal on a sale pair that on second-try on seem just a tiny bit loose.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Josh Landis wrote: Shoe on the right has formed to your foot,  thats why it "appears" to be drastically smaller, it's not,  it just doesnt have the flat elongated bottom anymore.

No way, that is way more than any sort of being "broken in". That's equal to or more than an entire size jump in length. 

Josh Landis · · Lewisburg, PA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 75
NorCalNomad wrote:

No way, that is way more than any sort of being "broken in". That's equal to or more than an entire size jump in length. 

No it’s not. When a leather shoe forms to a foot it’s changes the original shape, instead of it being flat and straight it’s now bent and curved. You can clearly see it in the picture but I made another in case you can’t. If you were to flatten out the soles they would measure much longer, probably close to the original size, minus wear. Water can shrink leather, but it won’t shrink your soles and rands. 

Good info thanks guys. I have had pairs of TC's get wet before but this is the worst they have ever felt out of probably six different pairs of TC's in the past. 

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

Ive had this problem - or else Sportiva are not making their shoes the same. Had a pair for about 3 years and needed to start breaking in a second pair so ordered them online - EXACT same size - when they arrived I couldn't believe how much different they were! It actually works out for me because I was considering going up a 1/2 size but didn't - so the bigger shoes are OK - otherwise I would have sent them back.

Here's my old size 45 and the new 45

EDIT: Been reading the comments - I can say that Ive gotten significant mileage out of my original paid (1 resole so far) and they fit the same as when I got them for the most part. I do have long narrow feet and really tighten the laces down - I'm sure that has "shrunk" them a bit over the last few years to fit like a glove. I think the changes are in the manufacturing of the new shoe OR they are labelled wrong...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "TC Pros Shrinkkng "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started