Mountain Project Logo

Estes Park TR solo areas

Original Post
Mike-Mayhem · · North Bend, WA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 70

Hey guys and gals,

What are some good areas to fix a rope and climb away in the Estes Park Valley? Preferably stuff with relatively short approaches <45 mins as I’m looking for places to climb after work.

Thanks

Added points for a place I can practice my slab technique!

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

I've seen people on Golllum's Arch. The Tooth boulder is good easy slab practice.   

Philip Magistro · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Jurassic may be your best bet.  Easy top access, climbs from 5.easy to 11+ or 12, and a short (though steep) approach.

Philip Magistro wrote: Jurassic may be your best bet.  Easy top access, climbs from 5.easy to 11+ or 12, and a short (though steep) approach.

Yeah I’ve been to Jurassic! Any 5.10-11 slabs that you recommend??

Philip Magistro · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0
Mike-Mayhem wrote:

Yeah I’ve been to Jurassic! Any 5.10-11 slabs that you recommend??

I can't think of anything you could hang a rope on without a belayer.  There are some really good slab climbs in that range at the Wizards Gate.  Not to mention Climb of the Ancient Mariner, Sibling Rivalry, Fantasy Ridge, and a host of others at Lumpy.

Dennis Shaver · · Estes Park, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

I live in estes and during weekdays usually rope solo stuff.

Finger crack and arete on little twin owls. A little exposed scrambling to get to the anchors. 15 min very easy hike

Cackle crack and Hagakure (5.11 fingers to 5.12 slab) at hen's and chickens, very easy access to the top, 30 min hike

takes me a bit less than an hour to hike to the top of the book, with a 70m can do both outlander and cheap date/final destination

at Lily mountain quickie cliff right and crag of fear have easy TR access (super short routes, I prefer jurassic park for face climbing)

at jurassic park everything on the fin is easily accessed, especially CG's Naked Fun time and Slabbed Up Side da head (really enjoy running laps on those two), but also edge of time is kinda slabby and easily accessed, also anchors for middle toe (fun slab) on dinosaurs foot and nearby routes are easily accessed but might take a little searching to figure it out the first time. also everything on long wall is very easy to access the anchors

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Estes Park TR solo areas"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started