Mountain Project Logo

Aconcagua 2018/2019

Original Post
Parker C · · Philadelphia · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 56

Looking for a potential partner or groups for Aconcagua. I know this is way in advance but I have a busy schedule so I need to plan far out.

We have arranged for INKA Expeditions to be our logistics service up to base camp but do the rest without support as a team. So we would have everything from a car at the airport to rides to the mountain and mules to base camp, as well as access to the mule companies toilets/water at base camp.

***COST***

$150 Deposit with INKA by July 31st
$500 Deposit with our group by July 31st
$865 Balance due with our group by November 15th
TOTAL COST $1515
***Not including permit which we pay for in Mendoza upon arrival, typically $800**

FYI solo logistics are around $2500 per person and a guided trip is $4k minimum; so basically this is a great deal.

Ome background on me, I started as a backpacker/thru-hiker 5 or 6 years ago. I found I enjoy mountains far more. My notable peaks are Kilimanjaro, Mt Stanley/ Margarita Peak in the Rwenzori’s (Uganda), Baker, Rainer, Washington (NH, winter ascent) and several Adirondack peaks (winter ascent). I am also an ice climber though that won’t help on Aconcagua.

Here is the theoretical schedule, ARRIVAL DATE IS SET, though on the ground schedule is open to changes, just a baseline idea

Mendoza (746 m, 2449ft)
Penitentes (2700 m, 8860 ft)
Horcones entrance (2950 m, 9,678ft) Confluencia (3410m, 11,190ft)
Plaza de Mulas (4350 m, 14,271ft) Camp Canada (5050 m, 16,568ft) the Camp Nido (5560 m, 18,241ft)
Camp Berlin (5900 m, 19,356ft)

Dec 17: Leave USA (or wherever)
Dec 18: Flight arrives in Mendoza
   Car airport
   Get permit
Dec 19: Penitentes
   Get permit if you didn’t get it yesterday
   Car to Penitentes
   Relax, organize equipment for mules,
   and maybe a short hike
Dec 20: Trailhead to Confluencia
   Bunks & Meals
Day 21: Confluencia to Plaza de Mulas
Day 22: Rest/Hike to Canada for acclimatization
Dec 23: Carry to Nido
Dec 24: Carry to Nido
Dec 25: Rest
Dec 26: Carry to Nido, if we still need to bring gear, or if all gear is there hike to Nido for acclimatization
Dec 27: Rest
Dec 28:  Move to Nido
Dec 29: Move to Berlin
Dec 30- Jan 1: Summit
   Leave 3-4 am
   Possible Descend to Plaza de Mulas depending on the time
Jan 2: Descend to Plaza de Mulas if not done after summit bid
Jan 3: return to trailhead/Mendoza
   Obviously return to Mendoza earlier if we summit on 30th and don’t need spare days

We have 7 potential so far please feel free to keep joining

Spencer Olds · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Could you please clarify the total estimated cost per person?

$1515 all in everything from airport  to base camp 

Doug Harris · · Louisville, CO · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

My son and I joined this expedition. The price is great compared to booking independently. We have done the Colorado 14ers, Kili, and Mount Sunflower. Heading off to Denali in a couple of weeks. 

Jeff jypete · · Traveling · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Private message you 

Eric Landmann · · Bozeman, MT · Joined May 2008 · Points: 295

I'm definitely interested. My ticklist isn't updated as I'm not on Mountain Project much, but I've got extensive high-altitude climbing experience, including five trips to Peru, one to Bolivia, five to Alaska including an ascent of Denali via the Upper West Rib, US Rockies, Canadian Rockies, and Tibet. Winters usually find me ice climbing around Duluth MN, Munising MI, Thunder Bay ON and Canadian Rockies. For this trip I am interested in the flexibility of individuals when on the mountain and how the partners will be organized, view of solo attempts, that sort of thing.

Eric Landmann wrote: I'm definitely interested. My ticklist isn't updated as I'm not on Mountain Project much, but I've got extensive high-altitude climbing experience, including five trips to Peru, one to Bolivia, five to Alaska including an ascent of Denali via the Upper West Rib, US Rockies, Canadian Rockies, and Tibet. Winters usually find me ice climbing around Duluth MN, Munising MI, Thunder Bay ON and Canadian Rockies. For this trip I am interested in the flexibility of individuals when on the mountain and how the partners will be organized, view of solo attempts, that sort of thing.

Just messaged you, should be to your email

Jeff @jypete wrote: Private message you 

Sent you an email haven’t heard from you?

Sorry, was up north working on my father's house where there is limited connectivity. I'm back to civilization now. Can you tell me what is not included? Your post indicates the permit would be extra. I'm assuming we bring all our own personal gear including climbing gear, tent, sleeping bag. How about food, do we need to bring everything with us, or is there some time to go shopping? Also are there pre- and post-climb accommodations (hostal or bunkhouse) needed and/or arranged? If so, where is the name and location of that?

Eric Landmann wrote: Sorry, was up north working on my father's house where there is limited connectivity. I'm back to civilization now. Can you tell me what is not included? Your post indicates the permit would be extra. I'm assuming we bring all our own personal gear including climbing gear, tent, sleeping bag. How about food, do we need to bring everything with us, or is there some time to go shopping? Also are there pre- and post-climb accommodations (hostal or bunkhouse) needed and/or arranged? If so, where is the name and location of that?

You will be responsible for all personal gear (tent, clothes, sleeping, etc). Our logistics company does not rent equipetment but has several recommendations for local outfits that do if needed

Most of us will be bringing the majority of the food with us. However there will be time after getting permit day one and before leaving for Los Peneites day 2 to get any food or supplies we might still need. Everyone for example will need to buy fuel for cooking. 

We have pre accommodations all set. Everything from airport transportation to base camp is covered. We have one day of post climb accommodations. So if we finish early and don’t use the spare summit days we will need to pay for extra post accommodation depending when you schedule your return flight of course. You could just hang out at base camp for a day or two after summit if we don’t use our spare days then you wouldn’t need to cover any extra post accommodation (just a thought, I may do it myself).  

I don’t have a name for the hotel in Mendoza but I just emailed the logistics to find out. It is a “3 Star” according to them for what it’s worth. It will be double occupancy so if your traveling solo you’ll probably be with one other team member. 

This is copied from the logistics company what is “NOT included”SERVICES NOT INCLUDED
Aconcagua's Entrance Permit fee: ARGENTINIAN- LATINAMERICAN- FOREIGNER visitor, ASCENT during HIGH/ MEDIUM SEASON by HORCONES Valley.
-Required personal equipment to participate in this type of climb.
-Rescue costs or other costs due to the abandonment of the expedition. (Riding mule, pack mule, individual transfers, helicopter flight, extra nights, meals, extra costs for changes in your flight ticket, personal porter service, set up & down of tents, etc.) -
-Personal expenses (tips, laundry, phone, drinks, satellite phone, internet access, showers, and personal porters to carry your personal equipment and your share of the common equipment: food, fuel, stoves, kitchen sets, etc).
-Sport, Travel and Medical insurance. Any service on High camps: Food, fuel, stoves, tents, kitchen sets, Porter service for common or personal equipmentetc.Any other service not detailed as included in the above paragraph.

Eric are you still interested?

Yes, definitely. I am working on getting a partner and should know if he can go in a couple of weeks, but I am in for sure.

Eric Landmann wrote: Yes, definitely. I am working on getting a partner and should know if he can go in a couple of weeks, but I am in for sure.

Great! As a reminder the lock in date for the price is July 31st. You can defiantly still join after July 31 the logistics company is just changing prices. That being said we have a solid group and relationship with INKA so I would guess there will only be a SMALL increases after JULY 31  Feel free to text me for quicker responses as the date approaches 214-738-4069

Logan Ortlieb · · Lima, PE · Joined May 2017 · Points: 25

Parker, how are you getting the logistics of this? That's a pretty good deal on the price.  I cant make it this year but if you can pass me some of the info for when I do go for it, i'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Any other takers? 

Jorge Zermeno · · Colima · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 25

I am very interested on this. I was planing to go solo in december / january and get all logistics by myself, so this is a good opportunity for me to reduce costs.
Now I am doing some 6,000 mts mountains in Peru and Bolivia until middle of october (Huayna Potosi, Sajama, Illimani, Huascaran, and others), as preparations for Aconcagua.
Do you still have a place for one more?

I am not the trip leader (that would be James Parker Cunneen), but according to what he said above (see his comment from June 27), you can still join, the cost might be a small amount more. You should contact him directly.

There is a price hike which I am currently checking on, will update when I know more 

Moe Akhavi · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Hi
Just be aware that Dehydrated food in Mendoza is rare and very expensive. almost 25-30% more and not many varieties.

Moe Akhavi wrote: Hi
Just be aware that Dehydrated food in Mendoza is rare and very expensive. almost 25-30% more and not many varieties.

Plan on bringing it. Thanks thoufh

My understanding is there are good markets as well for Peanut butter, salami, cheese, ect so I don’t have to bring with/worry about it being taken at customs 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Aconcagua 2018/2019"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.