Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva G2 SM. Any input

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Nick Sweeney wrote: What kind of insoles are you guys using in your G2SMs?

I tried a few different Superfeet (green, carbon) along with some complete custom ones that were super expensive, but I ended up having much more success with the boot without using any insoles.  FWIW, I used green in a few of my other boots until I got the custom ones.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255
Nick Sweeney wrote: What kind of insoles are you guys using in your G2SMs?

I use Blue SuperFeet for my G2's. 

Check these out - Custom, 3D-printed SuperFeet
Stever · · WA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 56

I haven’t found a chance to try these on, how do they fit compared to Nepal EVO’s? I wear a 40.5 in my Nepal’s and was thinking about ordering a pair of 40’s in the G2SM

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Stever wrote: I haven’t found a chance to try these on, how do they fit compared to Nepal EVO’s? I wear a 40.5 in my Nepal’s and was thinking about ordering a pair of 40’s in the G2SM

I wear the same size in the Nepal Evo and the G2. Obviously it could be different per foot, but hopefully it gives you a starting point! 

Gree nezo · · Western Mass · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 350
Stever wrote: I haven’t found a chance to try these on, how do they fit compared to Nepal EVO’s? I wear a 40.5 in my Nepal’s and was thinking about ordering a pair of 40’s in the G2SM

I found them to fit similar with the g2 being a bit more snug.

Chris C. wrote:

I wear the same size in the Nepal Evo and the G2. Obviously it could be different per foot, but hopefully it gives you a starting point!

Yes I ended up sizing down half size as I have read here since I will use a thin sock. They should arrive in a couple weeks so fingers crossed they fit 
Thomas G. wrote:

I got the 2mm, which worked perfectly for me. A buddy of mine uses the 3mm and they work well for him. Super comfy, I forget that I even have them on.

These guys?
https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/EZeeFit_Ankle_Booties_2mm/descpage-EZ2MMN.html
Clayton Wolfe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Bought these boots recently and have been breaking them in on 9 mile round trip treks that include forest trails, loose rock and skree, minor scrambling and tundra. These boots are amazing. Very warm and comfortable. The BOA system has worked without a hitch so far. Breaking these puppies in for Aconcagua and then Denali.

I have one issue with pain I'd like to point out and see if any of you had this happen and resolved it. On my right foot, inner ankle (medial melleolus) I'm getting some sharp pain that I can't shake. My best guess is that one of the sewing seems runs directly over the peak of the bone and is digging in. Only on one boot boot though which I can't figure out. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone heat molded these to their feet yet? Is it worth it?

Charlie Ware · · Albuquerque · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 0

Hi everyone.....

I have a pair of G2SM's in 44.5 never worn still in the box.  I purchased them originally direct from La Sportiva.  I am looking for a buyer $500.00.  

Due to serious back issues my days of carrying a heavier pack are over, so the boots are just going to sit and collect dust.

Any thoughts or takers

Christian Spencer · · Bellingham, Wa · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 145

Hey so if you are climbing in the Cascades and doing winter objectives, the baruntes are ok, I have them and they are plenty warm. But you can definitely get away with a super gaiter single boot and use charmoz's or trangos in the summer. The trango tower extreme might be the most ideal cascade boot if you are doing stuff on volcanoes and or mixed climbs with a classic cascades approach.

I've never used the BOA system before, if I'm trying to lock my foot in for steep ice, can I just crank them down? I feel more resistance as I turn them more but I am worried about breaking the wires... I'm also going to order the 2mm booties mentioned above and look into some insoles as I feel like my foot is just floating in the outer boot.
Kevin Kauffman · · Ann Arbor, MI · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Resurrecting this post! I used these boots on a recent expedition up Elbrus and they were perfect. Kept my feet rather warm but still only up to 5500m. I'm not sure about the 7000m claim, but I am planning an attempt at 6500 in Nepal next month. Does anyone have experience with these boots at a similar altitude? I don't want to jump to an 8000m boot without need, especially since I wear a size 49 and I can't rent those.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Kevin Kauffman wrote: Resurrecting this post! I used these boots on a recent expedition up Elbrus and they were perfect. Kept my feet rather warm but still only up to 5500m. I'm not sure about the 7000m claim, but I am planning an attempt at 6500 in Nepal next month. Does anyone have experience with these boots at a similar altitude? I don't want to jump to an 8000m boot without need, especially since I wear a size 49 and I can't rent those.

Hey Kevin. An acquaintance of mine regularly uses G2SMs up to 7300m on acclimatization rotations on 8000m peaks. G2SMs should be more than enough for 6000m peaks. 

Talked to BOA and they sent me two dials, two 90cm laces and two 60cm laces... fantastic service!

Georgy Gobozov · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 0

Has anyone solved pinch point issues? Any boot liner/boa customization? Boots seems perfect but pinch point issues is the only concern.

Sterling Falconer · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

No but check your soles. Some Sportiva workers did not put the matterhorn soles on some boots.

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10

I'm late to the party but there is no way G2SM is as warm as Baruntse. I have both and G2SM cost me a summit this summer. Wish I could figure these things out but I don't have a narrow foot. 

Sterling Falconer · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
MyFeetHurt wrote: I'm late to the party but there is no way G2SM is as warm as Baruntse. I have both and G2SM cost me a summit this summer. Wish I could figure these things out but I don't have a narrow foot. 

its possible you got a bad pair like how I got a pair with the wrong soles on. 

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10
Sterling Falconer wrote:

its possible you got a bad pair like how I got a pair with the wrong soles on. 

Which ones are correct, and what is the difference?

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
Sterling Falconer wrote: No but check your soles. Some Sportiva workers did not put the matterhorn soles on some boots.

I believe they just did this on the larger sizes, at least that's what I heard from a rep.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "La Sportiva G2 SM. Any input"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started