Mountain Project Logo

Clear Creek Car Break-In

Original Post
Daniel Rickert · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 486

I was climbing at Canal Zone on Saturday and was parked in the pull-off to the left a quarter mile into the canyon. Sometime between 9am and 3pm some goons smashed the passenger window of my buddy's car and snatched a bag out of the back. The windows of the car were tinted and the bag was closed.

Unfortunately, this pack had pretty much my entire trad rack - double rack of C4 cams supplemented with some finger size metolius cams, nuts, tricams, hexs, plenty of biners, the works.

I live in Dallas and was up for the weekend to climb with a friend - we were planning on going to Eldo Sunday (hence the trad rack). Needless to say, I am bummed but am working through insurance and getting everything replaced before a week long 4th of July trip.

I am sure it was not a climber, just a couple of goons.

Bottom line be careful out there and if you see a double rack with light blue dots show up on craigslist let me know!

Thanks,

Daniel

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

Sorry about your luck.  I'll keep an eye our for your gear...

Brendan A · · Golden · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 115

dammit thats super shitty. That lot is always full and popular so its weird that someone would do that mid day. Good luck! sorry some people suck

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41
Brendan Armesy wrote: dammit thats super shitty. That lot is always full and popular so its weird that someone would do that mid day. Good luck! sorry some people suck

Nothing weird about it. It probably took the thief less than a minute to do the job, and if he positioned his car right nobody would see him do it. Don't leave anything in the passenger area of your car, tinted windows or not.

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,381

Park at Lions park in Golden and walk up the bike path to the Canal Zone.  Much safer!  Adds about 15 min. To approach.

Daniel Rickert · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 486

Thanks for the beta on parking Jay. Definitely will do that next time.

The cop we spoke with said that they smash a window and grab the first thing they see. They can be in and out in 30 seconds. We just happened to be the unlucky car. 

R Furgh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I remember seeing a sketchy looking older white car with a middle aged white male and female in the vehicle. They didn’t look like the type of person that typically parks there.  thought they were waiting for our spot since it was pretty full but they went past our spot and down toward the west end of the Parking lot.  Not sure if your car was towards the west end or not. It almost looked like they were waiting for our group to leave. That was probably around 11am.  Doubt this info helps at this point.

ANGUS WIESSNER · · Denver Colorad · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,638

Sorry to hear about your gear.  When you say pull off do you mean the big one or just one right off the side of the road? Sounds like you were not at the big parking area where there is usually someone there.   Just curious

With Clear Creek you got to be careful because lots of people heading to black hawk For gambling. My friend had a similar thing happen to him at the lower east quarry parking lot.

Clear creek has so little Trad Unless you’re going for a specific route  i’d recommend bringing only draws leaving nothing in the car if that’s an option.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Clear Creek Car Break-In"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started