Mountain Project Logo

Beal 6mm Dyneema Slings

Original Post
John Shultz · · Osaka, Japan · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 50

I have used slings of just about every make, material, and style, over 30 years. These 6mm slings are really in another class. They are fantastically thin and light weight; I think unrivaled in this regard. The tubular webbing feels much more like chord and knots very well with a clove hitch. They excel at threading holes or tying off pins, as well. The 60 cm are wonderful for trad draws, while the 120 is a great lightweight substitute for a cord-o-lette (again, I usually use with a clove hitch). I can curl up an entire 120 cm sling on a single Camp Nano 22. They have essentially changed my approach to anchors. 

As far as disadvantages... you are sure to have a partner that will scoff at them! They are simply that tiny. Also, apparently they are harder to source stateside. All the usual cautions with Dyneema apply, of course (e.g. don't static load or use for prussiks).

Just my two yen's worth... Give em a shot, if you are so inclined. 

Cheers from Osaka,

john

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81
John Wilder wrote: Fwiw, Mammut stopped making the 6mm dyneema slings because they just didn't hold up to any kind of abuse.

The contact sling?

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Liberty Mountain, Beal’s distributor in the U.S. has them for sale. I use both the 60cm and 120cm ice climbing and when weight matters and think they are pretty awesome. Yes they won’t hold up as well as fatter slings but neither will anything really light weight compared to fatter versions. There is no way a 8.5 mm cord is going to hold up like a 9.5mm or 10mm cord will in the same applications.   You have to keep this in mind when using any lightweight gear. There are trade offs. 

John Shultz · · Osaka, Japan · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 50

Greetings.

I have the 8mm mammut slings and they are flat, not round. Not sure if that was the case with the Mammut 6mm. Also, the texture is quite a bit different. 

At any rate, as Sunny D says the expectation for longevity is likely going to be less with ultralight gear. I haven't worn mine out yet, so I can't speak with regard to lifespan.

Thanks for the comments. 

Brocky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

These are the 8mm and 6mm Mammut slings.  The 6mm is puffy, but flattens easily.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

I thought mammut discontinued them because they cut themselves too easily when knotted.

How much weight savings could there be anyway. 

Brocky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

They did discontinue them.  I bought these years ago from Climb High Outlet, they came in some weird lengths, like 4",9" and 11", as well as the standard 24 and 48".

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

Wow, I have new beal 10mm slings and was incredibly impressed with their weight and how supple they are. The 6mm must be crazy

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Beal 6mm Dyneema Slings"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started