Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Holds for Deployed Soldiers

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

Hey everyone,

I know this is a long shot but if anyone has some old, dirty, unused climbing holds lying around that would be willing to ship them I'd be eternally grateful. I have a bunch of young soldiers with a lot of downtime and currently deployed to the Middle East. I thought it would be cool to make them a small woodie and teach them how to climb but I don't have the holds (costs too much to buy them all myself). PM me for details. Thank you so much!

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81

What's the cost of shipping like there?

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

This sounds like a great cause, BUT:
1) It sounds like it could be something else. I doubt it, and hope not. If you could post a picture of your mates, where you are, something to show?
2)You might get a better response under a general heading and a new post. Something like "Deployed Service People in Want of Climbing Wall Holds".
3) Have you tried contacting a hold maker? I would think that there is someone out there in the industry who would be very happy to help.
Good luck!

You can do a flat rate shipping box for about $13. No max for weight, just whatever fits into the box It will ship into the Army mail system (domestic pricing). If you follow the link below you can also get free boxes, supplies, and all the other necessary info to ship items.

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-dpo.htm

Muscrat wrote: This sounds like a great cause, BUT:
1) It sounds like it could be something else. I doubt it, and hope not. If you could post a picture of your mates, where you are, something to show?
2)You might get a better response under a general heading and a new post. Something like "Deployed Service People in Want of Climbing Wall Holds".
3) Have you tried contacting a hold maker? I would think that there is someone out there in the industry who would be very happy to help.
Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Trying to keep operational security but we are the 10th Field Hospital currently in Iraq. Our unit is stationed out of Fort Caron, Colorado.

I have not tried contacting a hold maker but definitely will. Thanks
Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

I would bet that there are a LOT of people out here that would donate a buck or 5 to a go-fund me, which is totally fine to post here.
I would:
1) Set up a go-fund me account
2) Post it here, and maybe other (super-topo) sites
3) Contact hold makers, see if they could sell you holds at cost if not donate.
4) This is great, keep it going.

Andy W · · Ft Collins · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 41

I have a box full of holds I would be happy to donate if perhaps one or two others would be willing to donate the shipping. PM me if anyone wants to work something out together.

Sprinkle McSparklecams · · Bag End, the shire · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 20

Broke college kid, but Ted because this is cool.

bump to find a shipping donator

Justice Holloway · · Oak View, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 120
Andy W wrote: bump to find a shipping donator

I don't have much but I'm down to throw in like 10 bucks. Shoot me a pm! 

Thanks Justice. I'll send a pm when we find someone to cover the other $4. Anyone?
a.blair - please pm me details.

Connor Erickson · · Brandon, SD · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 17

Sorry I have no money but I just wanted to say that this is an awesome idea. Thanks for everyone that’s helping out

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

I’ll throw in money for shipping pm me.

Ryan O · · Portland, OR · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 56

Happy to help with shipping. Send me a pm 

Justice, walmongr, Ryan O - thanks! pm coming to all of you, and pm sent to OP.

If anyone else is willing to chip in, we can get them some bolts and T-nuts to go with the holds I'm sending.

I just want to say this is awesome, Had to stop away from computer for mission reasons and came back to find this. You guys rock!

Justin Sanford · · Broadalbin, New York · Joined May 2009 · Points: 555

I have a stupid amount of climbing holds not currently being used on my home wall (I have been shaping for a few companies over the past few years) email me directly at southernadirondackclimber (at) gmail (dot) com and we can work something out.  I would be honored to help our overseas brothers and sisters.  

Justin Sanford wrote: I have a stupid amount of climbing holds not currently being used on my home wall (I have been shaping for a few companies over the past few years) email me directly at southernadirondackclimber (at) gmail (dot) com and we can work something out.  I would be honored to help our overseas brothers and sisters.  

email sent!

Bump to get these soldiers some more holds! Between myself and 3 generous mp'ers (Justice, walmongr, & Ryan), we have 100 tnuts, about 20 bolts and holds, and funds for shipping. But this will do no true service for a 3 sheet woodie. If you have a few holds laying around, stuff them in a $7 usps flat rate envelope and send to me to be included in the overseas shipment. If you don't have any holds to offer, just a few bucks from multiple people will combine to buy them some shiny new holds. If I get enough interest, I would be happy to start a GoFundMe.

In regards to shipping, does anyone have experience sending things to military in Iraq? I saw on another mp post, regarding sending a rope to a guy in Pakistan, that customs wouldn't allow used goods to be sent. Maybe that's country specific or due to not being military. Just want to make sure sending used holds is going to be ok.

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472

Boulder Rock Club is selling a bunch of older holds for cheap right now. They might be willing to donate some for a good cause. It might be worth sending them an email as well. Best of luck guys! I hope you get some sweet holds to them!

Shadrock · · Here and there. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 430

I got no holds, but I'll gladly contribute to a Gofundme page.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.