Mountain Project Logo

Admission of guilt at the West Temple

Original Post
Brian Greulich · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

I'd like this to get to the person/s who were afflicted by my lapse in judgement.

In March 2017, my climbing partner and I approached the Big Lebowski from the wrong canyon. After a day and a half of climbing over the ridge that separates the two canyons, I sustained an ankle injury that turned us back down. On our hike out, we passed by a trove of water, bolts, and static line underneath a large boulder along the trail. Inspecting the rope and jugs of water, the gear seemed to be neglected, and we took it with us and divided the loot evenly between the two of us.

I recognize now that we stole that gear. At the time of the infraction, I had no idea of the way that routes were developed, and so I was convinced that it had been abandoned. I am posting this in order to make amends. To the people whose gear I stole, I'd like to meet with you to replace the gear that you lost and to apologize. If we can't meet, I am willing to compensate you all the same.

Alex Temus · · Lehi, UT · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 362

Not sure where you found it exactly, or how far out it was, but any chance you or your buddy could ride a bike out there and at bare minimum leave a note?

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

maybe you can look up the FA folks for a bunch of the routes in that area and then PM them to see if they know who it belongs to.

Detrick S · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 147

I admire your sincerity - we need more of that in a community exploding too rapidly for ethical bonds to hold fast.

JF1 · · Idaho · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 400

Good on ya for asking around.  Only owning a boat can compare with the money drain of developing routes.

Zane Winter · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 922

It takes a lot to admit you were wrong on the internet.

Rob warden The space lizard · · Now...where? · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

I would ping Brian bird. Although I have an idea of whose trove it was

mike again · · Ouray · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 47

This is a gutsy post. Kudos to the OP for honesty and directness. 

Dean O! · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0
Brian Greulich wrote: I'd like this to get to the person/s who were afflicted by my lapse in judgement.

In March 2017, my climbing partner and I approached the Big Lebowski from the wrong canyon. After a day and a half of climbing over the ridge that separates the two canyons, I sustained an ankle injury that turned us back down. On our hike out, we passed by a trove of water, bolts, and static line underneath a large boulder along the trail. Inspecting the rope and jugs of water, the gear seemed to be neglected, and we took it with us and divided the loot evenly between the two of us.

I recognize now that we stole that gear. At the time of the infraction, I had no idea of the way that routes were developed, and so I was convinced that it had been abandoned. I am posting this in order to make amends. To the people whose gear I stole, I'd like to meet with you to replace the gear that you lost and to apologize. If we can't meet, I am willing to compensate you all the same.
Sounds like you did the right then because you were hurt! Now just make sure to leave some tasty breadcrumbs for the next booger who's in the area! :)
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Do you remember the exact spot you took it from? You could also return it to there in a nice, waterproof container with a note. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Admission of guilt at the West Temple"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started