Mountain Project Logo

Santa Fe National Forest Closure

Original Post
Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

It is completely closed as of 6/1 pending further notice. This includes all Jemez Valley crags, and potentially parts of Diablo. According to the press release, other than drought conditions, the Forest Service discovered approximately 120 abandoned camp fires over the memorial weekend despite fire bans.  Please, let's not fuck this up for future access.
Also, Lincoln down south is likewise closed.

Nick Niebuhr · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465

Do you know if the closure includes Pecos Canyon and the area behind Glorieta Camp (for mtn biking)? I looked at the map they provide and it's hard to tell if the Cathedral cliff right off the road is included in the National Forest.

I agree. It is hard to determine the boundaries. Maybe a phone call would do. However, the pecos district is included in the closure. 

Phil Sakievich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 131
the schmuck wrote: It is completely closed as of 6/1 pending further notice. This includes all Jemez Valley crags, and potentially parts of Diablo. According to the press release, other than drought conditions, the Forest Service discovered approximately 120 abandoned camp fires over the memorial weekend despite fire bans.  Please, let's not fuck this up for future access.
Also, Lincoln down south is likewise closed.

Bump. The world is full of idiots. Glad they closed it, and I hope anyone who tries to light another fire gets caught and fined.  With the amount of rain we've had, fire restrictions are a no brainer. I echo the above sentiments. Climbers let's respect the ban and keep ourselves clean of conflict with the forest service. 

Haj · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 35

Two questions:

• does anyone have a copy of the closure map they can share?
  • what about the Big River Wall?
George ~ Thanks for the details!
Joe Kapala · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I hope the Sandia's stay open for a little longer, Im hoping to climb there in 2 weeks. 

https://firerestrictions.us/nm/

This seems to be pretty up to date but hard to decipher the map a bit.

Edit: Better map Link - fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO…

Haj wrote: Two questions:
  • does anyone have a copy of the closure map they can share?
  • what about the Big River Wall?
George ~ Thanks for the details!

Big river is on private land. Should be fine. 

J.Kruse · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 801

As far as I can tell, statement in the original post that the Lincoln National Forest is closed is incorrect.  Stage I restrictions for Guadalupe district and Stage II for Smokey Bear and Sacramento.  For the rest of southern NM, BLM has imposed fire restrictions starting tomorrow for Doña Ana, Otero, Luna, Sierra, Grant and Hidalgo counties which includes just about anywhere you'd be climbing.

Lincoln info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd580670.pdf

Southern NM BLM info: https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/local/2018/06/04/blm-issues-fire-restrictions-southern-new-mexico-including-fireworks-smoking/670408002/

Nick Niebuhr · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465

Is anything around Taos closed? Specifically along the Rio Grande like John Dunn or Utopian vistas

Anna Brown · · New Mexico · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 3,914

Kiowa Grasslands (Roy, Mills Canyon area) IS open.

Yes...if you want to die of heatstroke and get eaten alive by mosquitos (unless you are dead by heatstroke :-))

Andrew Sheets · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 10

Anyone been to Diablo recently? NE side of the wash still open?

Briana Collier · · Santa Fe · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

What about the Cattle Call Wall at Las Conchas?  Anyone know if it is still open since it is on private property and not part of the forest?

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,153
Briana Collier wrote: What about the Cattle Call Wall at Las Conchas?  Anyone know if it is still open since it is on private property and not part of the forest?

Cattle Call is also roped off with signs and ribbons. 

A bit of moisture today... keeping my fingers crossed it dumps some rain in the mountains. 

Philip James · · Albuquerque · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 25

Anybody climbed at The Shack at Diablo since the closure? Is the road still open?

Philip James wrote: Anybody climbed at The Shack at Diablo since the closure? Is the road still open?

Yes. The road is still open and lots of people climbing at the Shack given very few other choices.   

Rennie Putnam · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 22

I climbed at the Shack yesterday, it's quite pleasant until about 1pm when the tops of the routes start to come into the sun. If you can hang on until 3:00 or so, Winter Wall gets shady and is tolerable. The gnats may drive you mad, though.

Rennie Putnam wrote:  The gnats may drive you mad, though.

Legit. The gnats are not to be underestimated! A head net for the belayer, while silly looking, would not be a bad idea if you're like me and go crazy with those little buggers buzzing in your ears and face. 

RAIN IS COMING!!!! or so says the interweb

Ty Harlacker · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 231

Wanted to check out 'Wild and Scenic', it looks like the crags are next to the river but I guess that doesn't mean it's open. Does anyone have any idea if it is? I was also wondering if anyone knows El Rito's open?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Santa Fe National Forest Closure"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started