Mountain Project Logo

How much does it cost to equip a standard 30m route?

Original Post
James Field · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 2,144

How much does it cost to equip a standard, non-steep, 30m route using SS glue-ins OR expansion bolts via standard wholesale bolt purchase?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Can't you find out on Home Depot's website or Fixe's website or...?

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

Figure roughly 7-8 buck per bolt including A7 epoxy & a couple nozzles then add the price for a fresh bit and what ever you are going to add on your anchor bolts (around $16 for 2 SS pig tails for example) plus shipping. That is assuming you already have the tools and doesn't include your wire brushes for prepping (can easily go through several of them per route here in NE if you are doing a good job cleaning). You can get some prices here http://team-tough.com/ 

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

Do developers feel they regularly get "whole sale" prices on SS hardware?  

My very limited experience with it all is that even ordering from places like Granger or McMaster-Carr that you have to place minimum 100+ bolt orders to get "whole sale" prices and that's just for an expansion bolt as they don't carry climbing hangers or climbing style glue in bolts.  Fixe and Petzl have closer to 500+ minimums but then shipping eats you alive.  I've found a few deals to get "whole sale" prices on bolts but they aren't SS, just plated steel.  Those kind of bolt counts is a pretty big commitment financially for most climbers unless the Access Fund or ASCA organize a group order.

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090
Mike Slavens wrote:

Do developers feel they regularly get "whole sale" prices on SS hardware?  

No, not usually. Bolt suppliers have expenses 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

I wouldn´t give wholesale for 500 bolts either and can´t imagine anyone would. What a developer thinks is a large order is what a manufacturer produces before lunchbreak.
Wholesale is the price to a retailer who brings more to the table than a private customer, they are expected to actively sell the product, provide after sales service, field customer questions and look after the local legal issues as well as organising shipping and stuff like that.
I operate as two seperate companies, one manufacturers the bolts and "sells" them to my sales company which has two price lists, a wholesale one for retailers and one for private customers which has a discount structure covering the usual size of orders. It´s all flexible but to get wholesale pricing I´d want to see $5-10,000.
Shipping cost is always a problem from overseas, there´s no major drop in the costs until you start talking about hundreds of kg in one delivery which is thousands of bolts.

Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

Late to the party. To the OPs original question. I am planning on equipping about thirty routes with Stainless Twist bolts (Thru Team Tough) and made a bulk order based on that. My price per route will be about $70. That includes the adhesive and nozzles, ten bolts, 4-5 links of SS chain, a SS quick-link and a pigtail, but does not include drill bits or any of the non consumable hardware. Using mechanical bolts you would be looking at a similar or slightly cheaper price if you were buying in the same quantities. 

ADAM GRANT · · CHUBBUCK · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 422

Just throwing this out there.  A bunch of small contractors and I set up a account at a national supply company.  The account was set up so you had to pay for your supplies at time of purchase.  We kept adding people to it and before you knew it we where getting really good prices!  Like really good!  Maybe if you set up a thread on here and pitched the idea you all could get way better prices just by ordering off the same account. 

Brian Prince · · reno · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,727

I have only bolted in good granite and so have only used wedge bolts. I can find good Powers brand SS bolts on ebay for a buck a piece. SS hangers can be had at rapbolting.com for 2.40 if you order 50+. A SS hanger-quicklink-ring combo can be found for 10 bucks. Free shipping can usually be found. So for a 30m route, let's say 10 bolts and a 2 bolt anchor. Something like 60 bucks total for a good stainless setup in granite.

Carlos PT · · Spain · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Here in south Spain, where the climate is very arid and plated steel lasts 30+ years, a 30 meters route (with plated steel) can cost 18€ (about $20). Less if two nearby routes share the anchor.

Fitz Fitzgerald · · Rogers, KY · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20
FrankPS wrote:

Can't you find out on Home Depot's website or Fixe's website or...?

Other than the appropriate size & strength chain and possibly quick links, never use any bolts purchased from a home improvement store!  They do not carry the appropriate hardware rated for climbing applications.  Fixie or other similar dealers are the way to go.  Just wanted to clarify for those who may not know better.  Home depot is a scary word in route developing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "How much does it cost to equip a standard 30m r…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started