Mountain Project Logo

The Sharp End of Toproping

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Forever Outside wrote: Can we PLEEEEEEASE talk about Jason's tattoos?!?!  So many questions here!

Maybe we could mark the route location on his back with a block, then, add a time stamp and an arrow pointing to his wounds.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Forever Outside wrote: Can we PLEEEEEEASE talk about Jason's tattoos?!?!  So many questions here!

Dude got sick of forgetting his map at home, what's the big deal?

Patrick Miller · · Indiana · Joined May 2017 · Points: 340
Greg D wrote:

Maybe we could mark the route location on his back with a block, then, add a time stamp and an arrow pointing to his wounds.

All ready in the plans. Lol . I'm just happy to be able to laugh and discuss what happened

Cole T wrote: That place is tick city.

For sure. Ticks and bugs are always bad in the summer in KY. But man this place is bad. Go to a crag we're no one else goes and the ticks come out in force.
Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55
Only, Locals wrote: Are you guys trying to fat-shame this guy?  Not cool.

Totally cool to tattoo shame him, however.

Neil Rankin wrote: Yeah the sandstone in Kentucky and Northern Tennessee is to be treated with a heavy hand by the first ascent party and a light touch by everyone else.  Can be tough to do ground up but I’ve stopped on hooks, drilled a temporary bolt to crow bar off a flake maybe half that size before.  Looks like it should have been removed by the FA party especially is they were going top down. Scary stuff. Glad you guys are ok!

At first I was upset with the FA. But it is outside and we take full responsibility for our actions. Shit happens and you should be prepared for anything. 

Having put up many new routes my self I know you can't find every loose hold.
 And sometimes the rock comes loose after one pull or ten years later.
   Also I really don't think it was so clear that it was a block just sitting there..
If it's the guys I think it is, I know they did everything they thought they should
    I do not hold anyone to blame but ourselves. All routes should be treated as abandoned and dangerous. It's up to us to be skilled enough to climb again.
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Paul Morrison wrote:

Totally cool to tattoo shame him, however.

HEY PAUL CHECK THIS SHET OUT TOO LAZY TO EMAIL YOU NAWMSAYIN?!?  DOWN TO 1500 AND BUFF ON COTTON WHEELIO BROLIO

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Only, Locals wrote:

HEY PAUL CHECK THIS SHET OUT TOO LAZY TO EMAIL YOU NAWMSAYIN?!?  DOWN TO 1500 AND BUFF ON COTTON WHEELIO BROLIO

Is that what you use to slash the crash pads of non-local climbers at Woodson?

Only, Locals wrote: Are you guys trying to fat-shame this guy?  Not cool.

Prolly no more than I do to him. But in all reality he is pretty fit. Yeah he is a big guy with a huge heart. 

I met Jason about 15 years ago. Every since then he has been climbing with me.     He can climb 5.11 when he wants. Sent a couple v2s. Rebolts other people's rusted loose bolts. Carries out a small bag of trash ever weekend. He is the type of guy that will spend two weeks scrubing and bolting a route only to give the FA away  to stranger walking by. And he is the best belayer I've had in almost 30 years of climbing. 

He's out there getting after it every weekend full on. He is happy and loves him self.
  So shame on if you must, if it'll get him to climb .12s and hangTRs for me I'm all for it.
 Jason is a big guy in a lot of ways. I'm so happy we hiked out together.
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Patrick Miller wrote:
in this pic you can see the block at top right. This view was from about 30 yards away and about 60ft up. Because we climb alot of new routes. We looked the route over good before starting up. We just didn't see it like that. But we are always prepared for this kind of stuff. It really didn't surprise me all that much. What surprised me was that I was able to get out of the way and still catch his fall

That should not be surprising, that should be standard. Do you often stand right below climbers when belaying?

Amanda Smith · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 853

You guys are lucky.  That thing easily could have killed anyone who was on the route.  Sorry that it happened though!

T Roper wrote:

That should not be surprising, that should be standard. Do you often stand right below climbers when belaying?

No I was standing to the side by about 3 ft. That gave me the time to get out of the way. This thing was about 8 ft long and about 10 to 12 ft up. Wasn't much time to react. If this was multi pitch and i was tied to the anchor. I'd be dead and Jason would be stuck with my gri gri holding him.

Brian 1 · · Oceanside · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Treasure map is rad, but bloody eyeball is definitely my favorite.

Cole T · · Cincinnati, OH · Joined May 2012 · Points: 496

Yeah, I went to that crag once, not going back until the trail is finished and it has enough traffic to diminish the ticks a bunch lol 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "The Sharp End of Toproping"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started