Mountain Project Logo

Moved to New Mexico for a job, had all my gear stolen, lost job. Road trip north?

Original Post
Meredith Scheff-king · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I  move to New Mexico about two months ago for a job. About a week ago, I was with a friend in Albuquerque and left my backpack in the trunk of his car. He forgot to lock the car, and… Gear and computer is now gone. Anyways, yesterday I lost my job. I’m gonna get out of Santa Fe, and was thinking about heading north- Wyoming? Montana? Somewhere not balls hot. Is there anybody that would like to come along? I would like to go up there, haven’t climbed up there before. Would like to save on gas and have company. Have 4x4 Tacoma, cool dog, basic camping gear, and national parks pass :) I replaced my shoes and will probably be able to get st minimum a belay device and harness. I’m climbing around  5.10 -5.11 depending on who’s grading. Other than no Tabasco smoking around me, I’m a chill 33yo California girl. Probably north them west to coast. 

Jared · · Los Angeles · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

If you stay in SF, Meow Wolf is hiring... 

That’s where I was working. 

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Man, if that isn't a bag of dicks! Sorry about this annoying turn of events in your life. Hope you find some climbing-travel partners. 

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

You would enjoy ending up in Lander! Sorry your gear got swiped. Shitty karma for those ass hats. Sierra Trading Post is a good spot to replace your camping gear. Or on here.

Ask for what you need--lotsa good souls on here have gear they havent used in a while.

Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

Ugh, so sorry to hear. If you find yourself near Boulder, CO, happy to do some climbing with you to take your mind off of things!

Stiles wrote: You would enjoy ending up in Lander! Sorry your gear got swiped. Shitty karma for those ass hats. Sierra Trading Post is a good spot to replace your camping gear. Or on here.

Ask for what you need--lotsa good souls on here have gear they havent used in a while.

Where’s lander? Would love to say hi!
Chris Johnson wrote: Ugh, so sorry to hear. If you find yourself near Boulder, CO, happy to do some climbing with you to take your mind off of things!
Sure! I think I’ll be doing a road trip to see as many national parks as I can, mixed with climbing. Shoot me a PM!

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

Lander is about the best climbing town in Wyoming. I myself am in Telluride, CO. A bitchin spot to check out on your travels. Hit me up if you come thru!

Jared · · Los Angeles · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0
Meredith Scheff-king wrote: That’s where I was working. 

Oh boy... sorry to hear that. :-/

The Eastern Sierra are in good shape and getting better everyday. 
Best of luck!
Stiles wrote: Lander is about the best climbing town in Wyoming. I myself am in Telluride, CO. A bitchin spot to check out on your travels. Hit me up if you come thru!

Rad! I’ll do that! Pm me?

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

To make this thread interesting you have to tell us how you got fired.

Mark Dalen · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,002

Yes, only it can't be that you got laid off, 'cause that's just sad ...

Ish. I didn’t exactly get fired, I didn’t exactly get laid off. I signed some papers saying I wouldn’t talk about it in exchange for a small severance, better than nothing. But ya, it’s sad and I just hauled all my shit out here from CA. 

Meredith Scheff-king wrote: Ish. I didn’t exactly get fired, I didn’t exactly get laid off. I signed some papers saying I wouldn’t talk about it in exchange for a small severance, better than nothing. But ya, it’s sad and I just hauled all my shit out here from CA. 

Those "papers" are illegal.

Look, I don’t really care. I’m cutting my losses, washing my hands twice, and moving on. Lots of climbing out there to be done. 

Meredith Scheff-king wrote: Look, I don’t really care. I’m cutting my losses, washing my hands twice, and moving on. Lots of climbing out there to be done. 

Damn straight!

Scott Beguin 1 · · Santa Fe, New Mexico · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 30

It's just passing weather. If you stay in NM, I will be down for some climbing. Good luck.

Donny Knight · · Wondervu, CO · Joined May 2016 · Points: 37

If you're interested in moderate trad in RMNP while heading north, feel free to PM me. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Moved to New Mexico for a job, had all my gear…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.