Mountain Project Logo

New climber that's owning it!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Lena, Wendy, Em, and others, I think we "know" each other reasonably well on MP by now. I always read all of your posts and respect you, very much.

This isn't the first time we've danced this dance on MP, and it won't be the last. I do see all of your points, but the original post just didn't strike me the same way. Or, so mildly as not to bother.

But, we all have also conversed repeatedly with the guys on here. That you continue to do so, thoughtfully, is very much appreciated by myself and others. Even in the extraordinarily rare moments when we don't entirely agree. Thanks, ladies!

I want you, and the community to know our presence does make a quiet difference out in the "real world". I have had long, private conversations with several very thoughtful gents on some of the hot button topics. I've also had PM's from ladies who only lurk.

Building these relationships, talking, learning the others view, heading toward simple respect....that's the real change that lasts....

...built one friend at a time. I'm honored to be part of this tribe, especially the truly great women who are on here.

I gotta get out there and meet more of you!!!

Best, Helen

Abbie R · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 5
I'm working out like crazy to stay ahead.
OP, I'm glad the two of you are psyched on a new active pastime. But please don't worry if your partner sometimes climbs harder than you. It's totally okay. The attitude that will take you much further in climbing is one of "we're in it together, encouraging each other and celebrating each other's victories!" not "I introduced my girlfriend to climbing and need to remain in this teacher/mentor role forever or else." Healthy competition is fun and harmless (and inspiring), but beware of that latter attitude - it's a real buzz-kill for all involved. Other people's victories do not diminish you!
Forrest Halley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0
Jeffrey K wrote:

Actually, we do. It's called freedom of speech. You're welcome to ignore it but we live in a country that allows us to express our opinions.

That same right allows you to post a weird, deprecating dating website style description of your girlfriend on an internet forum to start a climbing story.

Maybe that's just your weird sense of humor and your girlfriend finds it entertaining when you make fun of her to other people. Cool. I find it odd that your story provided more information about your girlfriend than I find about women I message on dating sites.

At least now if things don't work out she has a great self-deprecating dating profile; "Blonde, blue eyed woman of a medium build seeks climbing buddy.  Really pale and bugs love me but I'll risk the dangers of gym plastic and belay while looking stylish."

A+.

Well since you insist upon using your free speech to whine about your inability to respect me using mine, I'm going to use my weird sense of humor to observe that you tacitly admitted to struggling with online dating. I deduced this by the fact that you admitted messaging multiple women and finding out less than a general description of a person. Sorry about your luck, but it is my sincere hope that you continue to conduct yourself with honor regardless of a lack of successful outcomes. But, what do I know? I'm just a guy engaged to a beautiful girl I met doing an activity outside with nice folks. Folks presumed that we don't do outdoor activities when in actuality we're just appreciating a specific indoor active pass time together.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I like Forrest, more and more, with each post from him.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Jeffrey K wrote:

SUBJECT: Good luck passing 9th grade!

FYI, human beings can be born with a number of different sexes or combination of sexes. Sex can be identified by chromosones or by physical anatomy, which arent always the same. Gender is a social role undefined by sex. Both those things are factual.

Grow up, bigot.

If his messages to women are anything like what he sent me, then it should be no surprise he fails.
Brian 1 · · Oceanside · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Wow, this post is derailing beautifully. Thanks for the entertainment. 

Jeffrey K · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
jg fox wrote:
If his messages to women are anything like what he sent me, then it should be no surprise he fails.

Just trying to privately help you with biology, kiddo. And no, I don't date bigots.

Lighten up, Forrest! ;) You seem awfully fond of attempting to shame people. But hell, I'd rather you make me laugh than insult your girlfriend to a bunch of strangers. We're making progress, buddy!
Karl Swisher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I think both Forrest and jg fox are getting the better of Jeffrey K, and they both come across as much more likeable than Jeffrey K. Anyone else?

Randy Von Zee · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 19,118
Jeffrey K wrote: Lighten up, Forrest! ;) You seem awfully fond of attempting to shame people. 

Wasn't shaming someone the precise purpose of every one of your posts in this thread?

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270
jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Jeffrey K wrote:

Just trying to privately help you with biology, kiddo. And no, I don't date bigots.

Yeah you also don’t get dates apparently.
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
jg fox wrote:

Don't worry bro, you'll find true love eventually.

:P
Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

Anybody else thinks it is hilarious that a bunch of tough guys in this thread think that telling a guy that he can't find dates is an insult? (actually, not hilarious at all, the INCEL sentiments have come out on MP before, but I'll focus on the hilarious part for a change).

I'm half-thinking of running a little poll asking the ladies on this site which of the online personas in this thread they would most likely consider for a date, based on what they have read. But I will refrain from doing so. Just a little thought experiment.

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10
Lena chita wrote: 
I'm half-thinking of running a little poll asking the ladies on this site which of the online personas in this thread they would most likely consider for a date, based on what they have read. But I will refrain from doing so. Just a little thought experiment.

LOL. A great idea. Just don't ask whom we would least likely consider.

So she took her first good whip today leading an slightly overhanging 5.8+(gym rating card). I was paying slack for her to stand up and clip into the anchor and she lost her grip and sailed off the wall. I caught her softly with a hop, but it was a shake up that ended the attempt. We both had half of a really rich protein bar on the way to the gym and she was sick to her stomach. She's not much on lead falls and was a little tense afterwards, but fifteen minutes later she was laughing about it. So far she's top roped a few eights and worked on a nine. We got tired so we decided Hibachi grill for dinner, it's her favorite, then we'll sneak back and attack a few more routes before heading home. I've got a 5.9 with really good holds in mind for her to try. It's going to be a great lead comeback for her after the earlier whip. Wish us luck!

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740
Jared M wrote:

This is gold, coming from the guy who sprays about his 5.7 solos on MP

fuck yea i do! But I didn't start a thread. 

Do you solo? 

Well the lead rope was ready for us, but there just wasn't enough recovery over dinner. We each belayed some new folks who were stoked to get off the auto routes, but don't have their belay certs yet. She gave a valiant effort to start the 5.9 I had picked, but her grip was just too far gone. We dropped to a 5.8 she hadn't done yet and she fell after the first clip trying to clip the second. She got back up and dusted herself off and went up all the way to the third clip and got it before grip strength was gone. She doesn't like lead falls and we're working on it slowly. She was done after that, but she belayed me up two more routes and that allowed me to leave on a high note. She's excited about going again Sunday.

Alpine Dreamin' · · The Mighty Granite State · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 135
Tradiban wrote:

Well played

So, outside climbing experience update:
Went to Manchester Wall today in Richmond, VA. Outside was confusing for her and she became very frustrated quickly. The easiest route was an arete on but was weak in the toes and required a bit of creativity with the hands. Allegedly 5.5, but it made me reach a bit. She tried top rope and just couldn't get going. She was super frustrated and said that she just couldn't grab any of these holds as they were much smaller than anything she's climbed in the gym. I think she got scared off on the first route and there was nothing that could said or done to get her to try again. I think it was a combination of frustration and a little bit of confusion being used to colored specific holds to grab.

Currently working with her to strengthen her grip a bit. Have rock rings, metolius finger ball,  and gripmaster Pro at home to use.  Any ideas that might build her confidence are appreciated. I'm definitely going to try to find another couple to climb with. I think she could use a woman's perspective on the routes. 

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

When is your nameless fiancée going to join MP and speak for herself about her experiences? Seriously, I'd like to hear her describe them in her own words. And it might even lead to some helpful advice. I'm pretty impressed by her rapid gym progress so far.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "New climber that's owning it!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started