Mountain Project Logo

Gunks Falcon Closure 2018

Original Post
Mike Hazard · · Ballston Lake, NY · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 310

FYI: 

2018 PEREGRINE FALCON CLIMBING CLOSURE
Due to nesting peregrine falcons, the section of the Trapps cliff between and including the routes Wisecrack (5.6) and Scary Area (5.12) is temporarily closed to rock climbing. This closure is in effect as of March 19, 2018.

-Do not use ascent trails or rappel routes that access this area.
-Do not use the trails at the top of the cliff in the closure area.
-Do not use the section of the climber’s trail at the base of the cliff between these routes.
-Please refrain from excessive noise making while in the vicinity of this closure.

Thank you for helping to protect the Peregrines!

http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/

Daniel Kaye · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 3,938

When I was there this weekend, they said they've seen/had babies! Which I'm told is progress, but the closure remains until the babies take off or something. I heard it could be another month or maybe less, but who knows? Maybe the falcons do...

awolf · · New York, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 15

Anyone have a guess as to when the Trapps closure will be lifted? Thanks!

David Schalcosky · · NORTH WALES, PA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
awolf wrote: Anyone have a guess as to when the Trapps closure will be lifted? Thanks!

Good question! Anyone have any updates on how they are progressing?

Bryce Adamson · · Burlington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,392

Well, the carriage road bouldering closure has been lifted

snug · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Peregrine Closure is finally lifted...
http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/alerts.html

Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 21

Congratulations, Gunks Climbers! According to the preserve, this is the first successful fledging in the Gunks since 2005!

See what happens with a little cooperation and patience? It truly takes a village to raise a couple of Peregrine Falcons. Good on ya!

(We're trying to do the same thing here in the Colorado Front Range--it truly tries the patience of some of our Boulder Canyon climbers, and those of us who monitor the Golden Eagles' nest there are sincerely grateful forthe cooperation of climbers who obey the closure signs.)  

B CS · · NY · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 41
Dara wrote: Congratulations, Gunks Climbers! According to the preserve, this is the first successful fledging in the Gunks since 2005!

First successful fledgling in the Trapps, there are other places in the Gunks that have resulted in successful fledglings in years past and other more remote areas than the Trapps that have not.

There was a nice review of the subject in Outside recently, probably the only time in memory that I can say I was glad to have read Outside Magazine.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Gunks Falcon Closure 2018"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.