Mountain Project Logo

Calling all Van life people

Original Post
Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

I’m making an offer on a 2014 MB, sprinter van conversion. 4cyl diesel turbo, 39k miles, fully loaded 2500, 144” with solar, diesel heater, 20gal water tank with external shower hookup, 2000 watt inverter, 200 watt solar panel with 200 amphr batt capacity, sink but no fridge or built in stove.  Platform bed that can be stowed on the wall in 3 pieces in order to fit a motorcycle. LED lighting galore, over head cabinets for storage and tons of tie down points. I did my research and think I have an accurate value. But wanted to poll the users on here.

WHATS IT WORTH???????????????

I realize it’s hard over the internet but looking for some insights. Happy to share more info or photos. Thanks in advance. 

Tristan Bradford · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,633

Is it homemade or did they pay someone to convert it? that will make a difference, otherwise the solar setup isnt worth more 500$ and a diesel heater is about $800
so its maybe a 2-3k conversion with the cost of wood and hardware? you got pics?

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Impossible to say with the info given. Need pics.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

?????????????  Kelly blue book + the modifications??

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

​​​​This White "Stealth" Rv is comparable: 

$49,950, 20 k miles, similarly fully loaded

&

This has 69,k on the odometer, for $43,900

More the classic RV than the White Stealth ride ​​​

what it is worth is the amount that it takes to satisfy the seller, I know not much help. The only thing to do is set your top price, try to negotiate,  walk away before you reach your limit, wait for it, wait, a week(?) if it is still available, then it might be meant to be. . . ymmv

Nick Goldsmith wrote: ?????????????  Kelly blue book + the modifications??

GOOD LOCK ON YOUR TRAVELS!

falling monkey · · The West · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 30

Nothing when the Mercedes engine keeps shitting the bed and nobody can fix it. 

Year: 2014
Make: Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van
Model: 2500 144" Crew High-Top 2WD
Engine: 4 Cylinder OM651
Color: Graphite Grey Metallic
Mileage: 40,000

Ceiling and walls skinned with Dynamat Xtreme sound deadener and insulation

Ceiling and walls fully upholstered with Interweave fabric

Lonpoint flooring (graphite color)

Airline Track (aka L-Track, Mac Track, VersaTie Track) on walls and floor

LED Lighting: (6) ceiling, (2) under cabinet, (2) loading area behind van

9 feet of overhead cabinets (blue) along driver wall

Integrated 20 gallon fresh water system with plumbing, water pump built in over driver side wheel well

Galley cabinet (blue) with drawer storage and flush mount glass top sink with collapsible faucet (Dometic)

Outside shower with hookups (Heater Craft) at the inside of the driver side rear door

3 panel 6ft bed system powder coated orange (removable and stowable) with 34 inches of underneath clearance

Shore power with inlet plug installed on rear hitch

4 stage battery charger installed on side of galley cabinet

SW2000 inverter installed on side of galley cabinet

Inverter auto transfer switch installed on side of galley cabinet

120v AC outlets on galley cabinet, on passenger side at sliding door and at rear

12v DC outlets on galley cabinet, on passenger side at sliding door and at rear

USB outlet on galley cabinet

100 watt Zamp solar panel with digital controller installed on overhead cabinet

Two 6 volt 220ah auxiliary AMG batteries installed under the van

Two MaxxAir powered roof vents at front and back of cargo area (blacked out with smoked lids)

Webasto Air Top 2000 heater with controller installed on overhead cabinet

Carbon monoxide and smoke detector

Hertz Energy Series speakers installed in front doors and rear doors with Alpine power pack

8" Kicker powered sub woofer installed under passenger seat

Snap-in window coverings (foldable/removable and blackout) for side and rear windows

Integrated Viair air compressor system with 2.5 gallon tank mounted under van; fitting and air gauge inside van at rear on passenger side

Self jump system from auxiliary battery system to main starter battery (no need for jumper cables)

Heavy duty sway bar installed on rear axle

Front and rear MB three point emblems blacked out (other emblems/badging removed)
Class III hitch with 7-way plug
OEM roof rails
OEM rear step
BFG KO2 265/75/75 tires

Kristen Fiore · · Burlington, VT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 3,378

What it's worth is not what they will ask. I wouldn't be surprised to see that van sell for $35-$40k or more. Is it worth that?? Who knows...

The "cost" of the conversion is a moving target. I did mine over with a much beefier solar setup but less spending in other places (no water pump, no powered vents for the fan) and it cost me $3k having done 100% of the labor myself. I bet that conversion cost $4k-$5k easily.

So if the conversion is well done? Yeah that's going to be one hell of a pricey van. Internal pics would tell us how well the conversion was done but just based on the hardware specs you've laid out it's likely the person who did the work knew what they were doing because a lot of that stuff is top shelf parts. EDIT: Seeing the pics now, yeah that's a professional job, probably cost a lot to convert.

The van itself is fully loaded, assisted braking, lane monitoring, blind spot monitoring etc etc. $50k new, build up $30k was professional and then the owner, a friend, went through it thoroughly and fine tuned, reinforced, improved it.

This is in NorCal btw. Just looking for a ballpark

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
Scottmx426 wrote: The van itself is fully loaded, assisted braking, lane monitoring, blind spot monitoring etc etc. $50k new, build up $30k was professional and then the owner, a friend, went through it thoroughly and fine tuned, reinforced, improved it.

This is in NorCal btw. Just looking for a ballpark

that will sell above $60K

Squeak!  BINGO!  You’re right on.

Next question.  I read a very detailed essay on the issues with the bluetech engines. Technical info Written by a retired MB mechanic. Particularly later models with DEF have the issues. Anyone in here experience any major problems?  It seems to stem from over heating/volatilization of the engine oil do to extreme turbo heat.  It’s more complex than that but wonder if it’s as common as it appears. Anyone have reliability issues?  If you’re interested in the article I can PM you as well. It’s quite fascinating actually.

Scott

Squeak wrote:

that will sell above $60K

Came to post this.

Scottmx426 wrote: Squeak!  BINGO!  You’re right on.

Next question.  I read a very detailed essay on the issues with the bluetech engines. Technical info Written by a retired MB mechanic. Particularly later models with DEF have the issues. Anyone in here experience any major problems?  It seems to stem from over heating/volatilization of the engine oil do to extreme turbo heat.  It’s more complex than that but wonder if it’s as common as it appears. Anyone have reliability issues?  If you’re interested in the article I can PM you as well. It’s quite fascinating actually.

Scott

If you have issues with that, its easier and cheaper to just take the whole def system out.... if you live in a state where that's legal.

Edit: also, one thing I didnt notice before buying on is you cant put biodiesel blend above 5% in them... Which is really fucking annoying in some states. That's another mod I plan on doing.....
caesar.salad wrote:

If you have issues with that, its easier and cheaper to just take the whole def system out.... if you live in a state where that's legal.

Edit: also, one thing I didnt notice before buying on is you cant put biodiesel blend above 5% in them... Which is really fucking annoying in some states. That's another mod I plan on doing.....

Yes. No biodeisel. And I would consider removing def. I think you have to smog them in counties that don’t mandate that. 

How often do you change oil and filter and do regular maintenance like fuel system cleaning, airfilters etc. obviously no issues so far for you mileage? 
Scottmx426 wrote:

Yes. No biodeisel. And I would consider removing def. I think you have to smog them in counties that don’t mandate that. 

How often do you change oil and filter and do regular maintenance like fuel system cleaning, airfilters etc. obviously no issues so far for you mileage? 

Oil is every 20k. Tranny is first at 40k then every 80k after. $200 and $700 respectively at Mercedes dealers. Easy to diy and much cheaper (about 90 and 130 for materials online). My state has no smog regulations. It might actually but ive never heard of anyone not passing. 

Caesar, you must have one?  If so I have valuable info on it. I am new to blue tech but it’s been pretty settled that the dealer suggested service intervals have been far too long. I’ll send you a pm with a descriptive write up/essay. But here is what Tom wrote me by email. Let me know what you think. Scott

“I can tell you right now, the engine will have some slugging issues, but it can be cleaned up.   If you stay on the right service schedule, it will be a good vehicle.   There are about a dozen different sceneries that happen.   I've seen them all hundreds of times.   At some point you are trusting the story the dealer has told your friend.   The 12K oil changes with 5w/30 oil is the problem.   I would also like to know if he has had any other problems with the engine?   Check engine lights?   Limp Home?   NOx sensor failures?  DEF fluid problems?  (They are a 100% failure rate on all 2009 to 2015.   Has his been replaced?).  Timing chains are a 100% failure for all 2009 to 2015.  You hear it rattle on cold starts, for 3 or 4 seconds.The timing chain can be saved with the right oil.   Does it have any oil leaks?   Didthe dealer clean the EGR valve at 40K?    Did the transmission oil & filter get changed?   At 39K, it sounds like those cost will fall to you.    Are you ok with that?    Has the dealer done any software updates to the engine ECU?   Everyone thinks they have taken good care of the vehicle, because they always took it in for service.   The question is, did the dealer do everything they should have done.   For that, someone has to look at the service records & look for what is missing.   All of these issues have a solution, the question is, are you willing to wade through them?   I can tell your friend took great pride in this Sprinter.   It is very well done.  It's what you can't see......

Brent D · · New England · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 279

I bought a sprinter with approx 100k miles and converted it, then we put about 6k miles on it before I sold it.  It needed its entire emission system replaced, dealer was quoting about 7k.  After we started to have issues with limp home mode, we looked around and realized this is a very common problem with sprinters.

If I did it again (and I probably will) I would get a ford transit.  Yeah you take a hit in mpg, but our negative experience with the diesel system is just too much to warrant some savings in gas. ymmv. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Calling all Van life people"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started