Mountain Project Logo

New Nose Speed Record - Honnold and TC

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315

Does Potter still have the solo speed record of the Nose?  I think that should be Honnold's next objective so he can completely own the route.

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398
Jplotz wrote: Does Potter still have the solo speed record of the Nose?  I think that should be Honnold's next objective so he can completely own the route.

Except for the fact that neither Dean nor Alex have freed the route

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
John Clark wrote:

Hoping the next objective is for an in a day free ascent of the Nose and RNWF of Half Dome in a day with TC and Honnlove sending all pitches.

Jon Frisby wrote:

Hoping the next objective is for an in a day free ascent of the Nose and RNWF of Half Dome in a day with TC and Honnlove sending all pitches.

Has RNWF gone free again? That last 15' to the chimney pitches is pretty blank

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315
John Clark wrote:

Yes thank you for pointing that out. In the hierarchy of Nose ownership, Lynn Hill free IAD still sits atop.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718
John Clark wrote:

Has RNWF gone free again? That last 15' to the chimney pitches is pretty blank

I thought the free line bypassed the rockfall section. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
John Wilder wrote:

Pretty sure Honnold has it these days via the same method. I think he did it when he did Watkins, Half Dome, and El Cap in a day...

Video of him doing that is so funny because at one point in the non-edited version I think he asked the camera man do you want me to make it look like i am struggling or something like that.

Kyle Elliott wrote:

I thought the free line bypassed the rockfall section. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. 

It bypasses the first half of the rockfall at the moment.

Eli Grossenbacher · · Bozeman,MT · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 30
Found this picture somewhere on Instagram of one of the speed attempts, I was curious if any knows if those rope/webbing handles on the bolts were installed by alex and tommy for the speed record or if those are usually there?
MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Eli Grossenbacher wrote:
Found this picture somewhere on Instagram of one of the speed attempts, I was curious if any knows if those rope/webbing handles on the bolts were installed by alex and tommy for the speed record or if those are usually there?

Sadly, there is usually junk all over the route.

The real question is to what extent it is "valid" to prep the route for a speed ascent... you could imagine going much faster on the route by placing pins and tat in select locations. 
John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 154
Steve Marshall wrote: So are they done now?

Yes.

At least according to Sanni's IG account, the "speed burns are over" now.

I for one am relieved.  I know these two are super competent, but it's still nerve-wracking knowing how far they're pushing things up there.
Ryan Palo · · Bend, oregon · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 605
Eli Grossenbacher wrote:

That's just normal/expected tat on the bolts heading into the crux of the changing corner pitch. Used by most ascents. There's quite a few places on the route with that type of tat. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

The nose is rated 5.8 / 5.9 C2 so you don't need to hammer your own shit in the walls as you are climbing but still always been odd to me to call it clean since you are using permanent gear that is left in the wall for aiding parts of it.

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

From NIAD to NUTH

John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 154
Garrett Genereux wrote:
Austin Siadak image.

Dialed, clearly. 

Honnold packs up the rope for this pitch when he solos the Nose, so not surprised that he has no gear here.

I'm struck by how the rope frames Tommy so perfectly....
slc.underscore.dan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
John RB wrote
I'm struck by how the rope frames Tommy so perfectly....

I'm sure the bright yellow/green rope wasn't an accident.

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0
slc.underscore.dan wrote:

I'm sure the bright yellow/green rope wasn't an accident.

It's Tommy's pro model, the Edelrid Tommy Caldwell Pro.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "New Nose Speed Record - Honnold and TC"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.