Mountain Project Logo

Clean send? Dirty send?

Original Post
Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646

So imagine you're halfway up a route and you encounter a small ledge, you mantle and proceed into the moves above, but slip just above the ledge and slide down onto the ledge... you slide/fall far enough that your hands pop off before your feet hit the ledge and regain your balance... Either way, you're on lead (last bolt is below the ledge) and you don't weight the rope. You continue to the top without further event, did you send? Or didn't you? Why?

Igor Chained · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 110

Totally botched it. Get lowered and try it again pal.

Jeb McHardman · · Taos · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 115

Typical Peter J chuffer move. Unless you put that ledge in on lead, it's aid.

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

Spending too much time climbing at Lover's Leap are ya?

Eric Stern · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 52
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

if you do not weight the rope or grab gear its all good. 

Eric Stern wrote: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/111836594/did-i-on-sight?page=1 Past discussion

Lol that's a long list of users that I'd be pissed at if we were arguing sending ethics at the campfire. 

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

If there's a voice in your head that doubts your cleanliness, you probably need to go wash up.

Nick Goldsmith wrote: if you do not weight the rope or grab gear its all good. 

could it still be considered an onsight? what if you fell before the first piece of protection and the ledge you slid down to was the belay ledge?

Kevin Piarulli · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,683
kevin deweese wrote: Spending too much time climbing at Lover's Leap are ya?

Haha first time at the Leap, I put my partner (now my wife) on lead on Knapsack Crack. She whipped with no gear and slowly slid back down to the ledge. Then proceeded to onsight.

What if you fall while free soloing, but finish the climb afterwards? Is it an onsight or a redpoint? Did James Lucas redpoint that climb, or did he actually onsight it? Do you have to finish the climb within a certain period of time in order to maintain the onsight after a slip on lead that doesn't result in weighting any form of protection?

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

In Comps: "A competitor shall be deemed to be unsuccessful in completing an attempt on a route if s/he: a) Falls or weights the rope; b) Makes use of areas, holds or features demarcated as out of bounds – refer to rule 5.7.8; c) Uses the side edges or the tope edges of the wall for climbing; d) Touches the ground with any part of the body after having started; e) Uses any artificial aid. "
If competition rules say you were fine, your fine. If the ledge was off route, you in turn were off route. 

I could care less about competitions. real climbing outdoors, any natural feature  is in bounds and a fall only counts if you weight the rope , grab gear or deck.  slideing back to a stance without peeling off is called a good save. 

Zane Winter · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 922

God, is this what we're debating now???

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

dude, all your prize money just got rescinded. In fact the send police are filing a report, and are going to revoke your lead belay card

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

I don't care at all about labels. Labels are for communicating, but they're sort of arbitrary, and I don't base my goals on them.

Personally, I my goals are about doing things in a skilled, controlled fashion. I personally wouldn't count the above as a clean onsight for myself, because I lost control of the situation. But if you want to call it a clean onsight, I won't respect you less for it.

Likewise if I started losing my grip, and hopped in a controlled fashion back to the ledge without weighting the rope, I'd count that for myself.

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,712

Depends on how much fun you're having

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

I would consult with a climbing lawyer, this is going to require judicial proceedings. Maybe Judge Judy will take this on.

some of my best sends my feet looked like the road runner peeling out with smoke coming off the rubber but somehow I made it up the thing ….

Kevin MP wrote:

Haha first time at the Leap, I put my partner (now my wife) on lead on Knapsack Crack. She whipped with no gear and slowly slid back down to the ledge. Then proceeded to onsight.

Lol. I put a friend on Knapsack and she asked me when the climbing started because she thought the first pitch was just a vertical "ground school" for me to evaluate her placements. 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

A couple of summers ago a friend and I were doing a new route. I was part way up the pitch when things went awry with me and several blocks coming down. On the way down I managed to latch on to a hold while the blocks went on down. I never weighted the rope and finished the pitch. I considered it a clean ascent cause I did not shit me britches.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Clean send? Dirty send?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started