Mountain Project Logo

Devil's Tower 1st week of June then Lander

Original Post
Wesley Neill · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 645

Good morning!

I'm looking for partners to climb Devil's Tower sometime in the first 10 days of June or so. I have a standard rack of singles, 70 meter rope and a whole lot of stoke. I am a relative trad gumby: I've lead two easy single pitch trad routes and followed two multi-pitch trad routes at Seneca. I'm a 5.10d/11a sport climber who wants to climb taller stuff. I would enjoy leading an easy pitch but would be just as happy to follow.

After DT, I am heading to Lander and would also be looking for some sport climbing partners.

I am aware of the voluntary climbing closure in June, but will have no other time. Thanks in advance!

Jordan Bouley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Wesley wrote:I am aware of the voluntary climbing closure in June, but will have no other time. Thanks in advance!
May electric arrows from above strike you in the month of June. Its a voluntary closure that currently appeases the natives and climbers alike. The closure has been working for years and we dont want our climbing priviledges talen away from there. Devils Tower and Huelett, WY are both very small towns. Word travels quick. Be prepared to be shunned if you desecrate this sacred site. Wait till Julyor early fall.
Michael Sammartino · · Eagle, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0
I am aware of the voluntary climbing closure in June, but will have no other time. Thanks in advance!

That rock will be there for at least another million years, you can wait to climb out of respect for the natives. Seriously, it's their land after all. Climbing access is a not an entitlement, it's a privilege, and if there's constraints or restrictions, please respect them. Don't make the rest of us look bad because your only free time to climb DT is June. 

Charlie Daniel · · chattanooga · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 45

Make other plans dude. This wont end well in your favor. It's a small community and you dont want to start off on the wrong foot. And karma....there's that following you up "taller stuff". There's a ton of climbing in WY, find another place.

Wesley Neill · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 645

Jordan Bouley wrote: May electric arrows from above strike you in the month of June. 

Thanks very much for wishing me ill. You are a swell person, as is obvious by your wishing violence on me as well as pushing someone else's religion (not even one you adhere to) on me. You think you are such a stand-up member of the climbing community. Good job showing your true colors: Narcissistic, self-righteous hypocrite. 

Terrible Terry · · Pinedale,Wy · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

Are all you hero's besides Wesley sure it isn't just the government trying to close everything one step at a time.

NathanC · · Ogden, UT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

I mean, all he did is assert that his time is more valuable than a community compromise & all the effort that went into it.

The act isn’t illegal, nor does it elicit some sort of ancient curse (that I’m aware of, at least), it’s just a dick move.

Wesley, given your stated experience with trad, I encourage you to get some mileage in with gear and attempt the tower another time as a competent leader.  The experience will be far more memorable all around, and not just another check box on the ”been there, done that” list.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Terrible Terry wrote: Are all you hero's besides Wesley sure it isn't just the government trying to close everything one step at a time.

Yep, I’m sure.  But I bet they won’t get you if you wear your tin hat!

TS, Don’t be a dick.  Honor the closure.  As stated, even the path of least resistance (Durrance) is a serious route.  It’s not a great route for an inexperienced climber (do you know how to crack climb?), and you’ll most likely have trouble finding partners because most people will be honoring the closure.  Or you could climb at any of the other amazing places in the area, take a look at DT, and come back when you’re ready (and at the right time).
Terrible Terry wrote: Are all you hero's besides Wesley sure it isn't just the government trying to close everything one step at a time.

Given that the closure is due to DTs significance to indigenous peoples, and given our government’s historical disregard of the culture of indigenous peoples, it’s safe to assume it’s the closure is not a government conspiracy. Close Encounters is a work of fiction...

The point we’re all making is this: DON’T BE A DICK, RESPECT THE CLOSURE AND CLIMB SOMETHING ELSE.
Wesley, if you’ll be in Wyoming, I’d be happy to rope up with ya in Tensleep. As for climbing Trad, you’d definitely want more moderate, multipitch experience before hopping on DT. 5.10/11Trad is WAY different than 5.10/11 sport.
Wesley wrote:

Thanks very much for wishing me ill. You are a swell person, as is obvious by your wishing violence on me as well as pushing someone else's religion (not even one you adhere to) on me. You think you are such a stand-up member of the climbing community. Good job showing your true colors: Narcissistic, self-righteous hypocrite. 

There’s a difference between respecting another culture and “pushing someone else’s religion.” Seriously man, trying to be cool here, but it’s really a no bueno to travel to a new climbing area and blatantly flaunt that area’s access agreements and ethics. 

Rick L · · Medford, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 50

Wesley, you should really check out the needles of Mt. Rushmore and some of the other climbing in the black hills. If you cant find anything there that looks just as cool as climbing the tower I would be really impressed. Plus you would probably be able to find partners easier with folks following the voluntary closure. Just a suggestion for the middle path

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, & Dakotas Partners
Post a Reply to "Devil's Tower 1st week of June then Lander"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started