Mountain Project Logo

Why not show Ticks in "Classic Climbing Routes" for an area

Original Post
Gabe O'Leary · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 828

When I'm looking at the "Classic Climbing Routes" for an area it's easy for me to see which ones are on my "To-Do" list.  What is not easy is determining which one's I have already climbed (via ticks).  Lets get this added!

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

On the list above, you have one climb showing up in yellow stars, instead of blue. That's the one you have personally rated.

Easy solution: rate the climbs you send, and you will be able to see at a glance on any page which ones you have already climbed. :).

I have many routes that I haven't rated because I sometimes don't have a baseline for comparison, or feel like I have anything worthwhile to add to the rating.  Yes that is a nice workaround but I don't see any reason why not to add ticks to this view.

Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646
Gabe O'Leary wrote: I have many routes that I haven't rated because I sometimes don't have a baseline for comparison, or feel like I have anything worthwhile to add to the rating.  Yes that is a nice workaround but I don't see any reason why not to add ticks to this view.

Reason: It takes a significant amount of somebodies time and effort.

Peter J wrote:

Reason: It takes a significant amount of somebodies time and effort.

How cynical.  This is a feature that I've discussed with numerous other users of MP as being useful.  Any feature for a website takes some amount of time and effort but if it improves the user experience it is worthwhile.  Why even have a forum asking for feature suggestions if this the attitude going around here...?  Not to mention this one would take a minimal amount of work to design and implement.

Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646

I'm not saying its a bad idea. I'm just saying they people working on MP have limited time and energy and have to try to make the BEST use of their time (they don't have time to do everything). There are a lot of things that could be improved about MP. A lot. The question is which are the MOST important and useful. That's all I'm saying.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Ticks would take additional space (unlike the yellow stars), and it's a real challenge to make that table work reasonably well on all browser widths with the existing data.  I'm psyched to get suggestions, but I'm unlikely to implement this one.  Thanks though!

It's sad that to get this functionality I'll have to go back and rate a bunch of climbs that I hardly remember doing...   Think about how little space it would require to have a literal "tick" (roman numeral style) to the right or left of the "To-Do" column.  A click on that tick could take you to the page where you can read the details of your ticks.

Gabe O'Leary wrote: Think about how little space it would require to have a literal "tick" (roman numeral style) to the right or left of the "To-Do" column. 

Okay, I kinda like that!  I'll put it on my list.

Awesome, thanks Nick! I'll keep an eye out for it :)

This is live now.  Look at the right side of most route lists.

Awesome, thanks Nick!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Why not show Ticks in "Classic Climbing Routes"…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started