Mountain Project Logo

Silent partner

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
eli poss wrote:

Yep. I remember this past fall when the local gear shop was having a huge sale on everything and I picked up a used silent partner for 60% MSRP. Within 2 days, it had sold on here for MSRP. Now I kind of wish that I'd waited longer to sell it because I could get more for it today. The opportunity exists. Perhaps the next one will be with the BD C3s.

Not only that, you sold something that would never be made again by Rock Exotica.  Those things have become priceless.  A brand new one went for $1000 on eBay recently.  Imagine five years from now given that no company seems to be interested in making solo belay devices.

Speaking of whom, has Rock Exotica mentioned they would be willing to part ways with the patent rights?  I would be very interested in trying to set up a business to make these.
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
trailridge wrote:

Back up knots are pretty important. Yer going to die. Or more like how haven't you died yet

Not for Pete Whittiker they aren't.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
jg fox wrote:

Not only that, you sold something that would never be made again by Rock Exotica.  Those things have become priceless.  A brand new one went for $1000 on eBay recently.  Imagine five years from now given that no company seems to be interested in making solo belay devices.

Speaking of whom, has Rock Exotica mentioned they would be willing to part ways with the patent rights?  I would be very interested in trying to set up a business to make these.

The patent would have expired some time ago.

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422
Jim Titt wrote:

The patent would have expired some time ago.

Really? I’ll need to look into this.  Thanks Jim.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
jg fox wrote:

Those things have become priceless.  A brand new one went for $1000 on eBay recently.  Imagine five years from now given that no company seems to be interested in making solo belay devices.

Sounds like I need to do a Silent Partner cryptocurrency.

Alex Kowalcyk · · Idaho · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 65
Bird Watcher wrote: The last couple of Silent Partners on ebay sold for over $600... Hopefully at some point the demand will encourage the manufacturer to start building them again.

Damn I wonder if this tips the balance enough for me to sell mine versus the once every 2 yrs or so use I get out of it? But mine has scratches on it from squeeze chimneys. Most of the ones on ebay look like they've never been used...

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53

Just picked up a brand new SP yesterday still in package with instructions. 

Dunder . wrote: Just picked up a brand new SP yesterday still in package with instructions. 

How much?

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53

Out the door after tax I paid $250, it was the only one they had.

falling monkey · · The West · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 30

They have been selling on ebay for like $500-600 but only suckers pay that much. I bought mine off someone here just asking around for $250 and another guy offered me his for $300. Look up Brandon Adams, he just posted that he is selling his.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Silent partner "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started