Mountain Project Logo

Colour climbing question

Original Post
Ben ASCO · · Denver, CO · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 5

I climbed the dead dog coulour (torreys peak, co) a couple of years ago, planning to do it again tomorrow while the route is in. I climbed with crampons and mountaineer axe last time, but while I was climbing I remember thinking I might rather have 2 ice tools instead. It's about 45 degrees or so at the steepest. Anyone have any input on axe choice here? I am fairly well experiences with both.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

How about one tool and one ax?

Not a bad idea. I might try that.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

If you wereThinking along those lines one long ax for walking and climbing. lightest tool you have as a 2nd tool. realisticly that is a 2nd modern alpine ax...  But you have already proved to yourself that you can do it with one ax. would stiffer boots/ better crampons make you feel better about it?? 

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

I was really excited about this topic, which I thought was from a Brit, as it appeared to combine two of my favorite things: painting and climbing. But alas, it’s about a couloir, not colors. 

Nick Goldsmith wrote: If you wereThinking along those lines one long ax for walking and climbing. lightest tool you have as a 2nd tool. realisticly that is a 2nd modern alpine ax...  But you have already proved to yourself that you can do it with one ax. would stiffer boots/ better crampons make you feel better about it?? 

Sorry I haven't looked at this thread lately. The reason I was asking was more to see what people thought about axe choice. I remembered from last time that the way I was holding a mountaineer axe was a little awkward. I toiled about it then just went just with one tool. That was a winner. Shorter than an axe it was more useful, had a blast. The route is melted out now to the point where rock fall is a real hazard.

phylp wrote: I was really excited about this topic, which I thought was from a Brit, as it appeared to combine two of my favorite things: painting and climbing. But alas, it’s about a couloir, not colors. 

Sorry not a Brit. Just an American with poor speling skills.

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

I like having two "things" be them axes,  tools, or poles. Unless fast and light trumps, seems more efficient with less fatigue. That being said, I can be a weight weeny and forego dual wielding.

Generally:
<45 degrees, trekking pole and ax
45-60 degrees, ax and tool
>60 degrees, tools

There are a bunch of subcategories of tools and axes, but those are a bit more advanced and preference based.

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102
Ben ASCO wrote:

LOL, Ben!  I'm glad my sense of humor (or humour in British English) did not offend you. Phyl

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20
Ben ASCO wrote:

FYI. They are called coolers in the states. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Colour climbing question"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started