Mountain Project Logo

Black Diamond Eldorado-Packed Size???

Original Post
Parker Kempf · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

I am trying to get a mental picture of what the packed size of black diamond eldorado (sans vestibule) is  compared to something like a nalgene

7" x19" just seems so huge when i pull out a tape measure.

anyone have the time to snap a pic of theirs next to an object for reference? im imagining its like the size of a quaker oatmeal container (the bigger 42oz one.....)

thanks

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Burly 4 season tents aren't small sadly, especially ones a full sized human can fit into.

https://youtu.be/y1X6z0pMoJw​​​

holy cow! that thing is a monster....thanks thats exactly what i needed to see.
Hilleberg it is !  

Here it is next to a Firstlight, which sadly I don't fit in.

http://www.ademiller.com/blogs/climbing/2007/09/review-black-diamond-firstlight-tent.html​​​

jdejace wrote: Here it is next to a Firstlight, which sadly I don't fit in.

http://www.ademiller.com/blogs/climbing/2007/09/review-black-diamond-firstlight-tent.html

I haven't actually laid down in a firstlight or the I tent, (both have the 82" floor) but i am 6'3 and am fairly confident it would be terrible to sleep in unless it was like a 1 night hit-and run alpine objective, even then...dropping $700 on a tent that i dont fit in and wont use very often seems....sub-optimal?

I have been curious about the Rab Latok 2, its supposed to be the same dimensions as the eldorado but it is a full pound lighter, i wonder if that means its more pack able?

I'm 6'1" and thought the Firstlight was too small, the ends of my sleeping bag were squished. The external length of my "long" expedition bag is ~84in sooo...yeah. The tall struggle is real. 

Here's my EV2 next to a BD Speed 30. It's not like you're going to fit any of these in a small pack with climbing gear. 

woof.
I have a hilleberg jannu which is definitely not going in a 35L alpine pack. i was hoping an eldorado would be more....squeezeable...i guess the MSR advance pro 2 is basically just a waterproof version of the firstlight and probably my best option for packability and bombproof-ness. it just sucks that its not a tad longer. 

I think it's nicer than the Firstlight. I prefer the outer poles. But it's even smaller. Better pack some warm booties and a hot water bottle because your sleeping bag footbox will be compromised.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/4-season-tent/msr-advance-pro​​​

well i usually sleep curled up in a ball crying so it shouldnt really be a problem.

How is the Jannu for a tall guy, out of curiosity? 

Pretty ideal for me. The 90" floor is really really nice (as said earlier im 6'3") my feet dont touch the 'footwall' (not to be confused with football) and the head-side terminates close to the peak height so you don't have the 'claustrophobia' of  a standard dome style. I can sit up in it easily.

My only real beefs with it are that it is bulky/heavy (7 lbs) for anything thats a short term objective but has a long approach (though its definitely not bulky for a 4 season powerhouse tent). Also the vestibule is really really low angle, to fit 2 packs in there and cook you have to cram the packs up to the front edge of the vestibule and press out the material a good foot or two. I get that the angle helps with wind, nothings perfect, but if im gonna have a vestibule it may as well be a fully functional one). also as with all 1 door tents it can be a hassle coming and going a lot with 2 people. I have slept 3 in there a handful of times and it was pretty doable.

My jannu's been in some pretty gnarly conditions in chalten and the cordillera and definitely takes multi direction wind and wet snow like a champ. and the ventilation is amazing. Ive never actually pulled the liner and just pitched it as a rain shelter but im gonna play with that in the N cascades this summer and'll post more here.

overall its the best tent ive ever used

So with an inflatable sleeping pad and a big winter sleeping bag the ends of the bag don't touch the walls? Nice. 

jdejace wrote: So with an inflatable sleeping pad and a big winter sleeping bag the ends of the bag don't touch the walls? Nice.

exactly. its friggin great. and worse case scenario (for even taller folk) you could just slide your head toward the door (or open the door and stick your head out a little bit) that way your footbox wont ever touch the footwall of the tent.

I happened to order the Rab last week. If you decide you don't want to sleep in the fetal position in the MSR and can carry an extra 14oz, I think you'd probably be happier with it. The ends of my -20F bag just touch the walls, but it's more of a condensation issue (that you could alleviate by wrapping the footbox in a shell) than actually compressing your insulation like the Firstlight and I imagine the MSR. It's also wider if you're gonna fit another human in there. It's definitely intended for cold weather, the door and vent don't have bug netting.

Edit: to be clear I'm talking about the Latok Mountain 2, not the Latok Summit. 

good to know! hows the packed size on that bad boy? similar to the eldorado i imagine?

I've never owned an Eldo so can't say for sure.

The thing is, a lot of these tents seem at lot bigger if you use the manufacturer's stuff sack because they usually try to cram the poles in there. For the Firstlight BD actually gives you separate stuff sacks instead which helps. The Firstlight is thin fabric and super packable anyway, but still.

This particular Rab tent, like the Firstlight, is nothing but fabric and fairly compressible (ie no fancy plastic clips).

Here's the Rab in the factory sack with poles and stakes inside. And for comparison the tent alone fit easily into one of my sleeping bag stuff sacks. Can always strap the poles to the outside of your pack. I'm pretty sure you could also pack the Eldo more efficiently than what it looks like in that video.

I don't have a Firstlight anymore but here a pic I yanked from eBay.

nice! thanks

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Black Diamond Eldorado-Packed Size???"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started