Mountain Project Logo

Recommend some top rope routes near Boulder

Original Post
Andrew O'Neill · · State College PA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 20

Howdy! Title says it all. I don't have much (any) experience lead climbing, but I'd still like to climb while in Boulder this summer. Can y'all recommend any routes where its easy to set and clean an anchor without leading?

Hansen Lister · · Bend · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 60

I would recommend north table south of Boulder in Golden. Lots and lots of toprope options

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

The Boulderado
South face of Surprising Crag at the Sport Park
Happy Hour

Be a good citizen and share the routes ok?

Thanks for the recommendations! How is the access to the bolts at the top? Are there any trees suitable for natural anchors?

You should be able to scramble to the top of any of these three crags. There are tree anchors if needed, as well as bolted anchors for many of the routes. Maybe all bolts at the Sport Park. 
Happy Hour is mostly tree or gear anchors iirc.
Some of the routes at Nip and Tuck would be suitable also.
Why not find a partner and learn to lead?

Finding a partner is on my list of things to do. I've made contact with a couple folks in the area, I plan to meet up with someone next week.

Thanks!

QGrochala Grochala · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 30

Nip and tuck is your best bet, north table has more and is a bit more spread out. 

Dan H · · Highlands Ranch, CO · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
Mark E Dixon wrote: The Boulderado

Fair warning on this one. I have seen people do some pretty sketchy things to set up top ropes here. some of the anchors arent the most accessible when approaching from the top...

Dan Hat wrote:

Fair warning on this one. I have seen people do some pretty sketchy things to set up top ropes here. some of the anchors arent the most accessible when approaching from the top...

Yes, be careful.

There was a death at the Boulderado a few years ago when a climber lost his footing scrambling down to help somebody and fell from near the top of Qs, iirc.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Recommend some top rope routes near Boulder"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started