Mountain Project Logo

BD / Joe Kinder / ???

jason oliphant · · warren, Pa · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 20
TravisJBurke wrote: I wrote up a longer piece on this here: http://thebigwild.net/2018/05/14/1499/

But, if TL;DR...we as a community have invested in our own mythmaking that posits some halcyon past wherein climbing was "pure..."  So we react against DiGiulian perhaps because of a conception of rock climbing free from promotion.  
I didn't get into the obvious sexism that haunts the reaction to the controversy because the entry would have extended for pages and pages...

Give it a read if you like...

I like it, lots of interesting questions

doesn't quite seem like anyways has very convincing answers for them.   as one of the Hordes of gym climbers living in a state without a big rock climbing community, I wonder along with you,

how rock climbing will accomodate us.

anyways I should be lurking not dragging this very busy thread further into the weeds.
:(

sorry

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

They did a bit on this today on Next with Kyle Clark (9 News in Denver).  Includes an interview with SD.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/next/popular-professional-climber-from-colorado-has-her-own-message-for-cyberbully/73-552805666

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Nate Tastic wrote: Joe's second apology and owning up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Biw99h2lnpI/

Man, I am SO happy he chose the high road...

I have apologized for my mistake and learned a very hard lesson—about myself and about others. I’ve chosen not to respond to the mistruths or rebut the misrepresentations about my mistake that have been broadcast as fact, chosen not to share my version of what happened, because in the end there is no excuse, no defensible explanation for my mistake. 
World needs more humble people...
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

Y'all need to learn how to read between the lines:

A mistake that has cost me my livelihood as a professional climber, and hurt the feelings of someone who I’ve known for more than 10 years. 
Aka, all I did was hurt somebody's feelings and I lost my livelihood. I may be an idiot, but tell me that's fair.

On other note, it's looking like I'm gonna dog a JK route all weekend.
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
TravisJBurke wrote: I wrote up a longer piece on this here: http://thebigwild.net/2018/05/14/1499/

But, if TL;DR...we as a community have invested in our own mythmaking that posits some halcyon past wherein climbing was "pure..."  So we react against DiGiulian perhaps because of a conception of rock climbing free from promotion.  
I didn't get into the obvious sexism that haunts the reaction to the controversy because the entry would have extended for pages and pages...

Give it a read if you like...

That's a great post, Travis. Thanks for linking to it here so I could find it. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
amarius wrote:

Man, I am SO happy he chose the high road...

World needs more humble people...

As in Joes humble? 

TravisJBurke · · Beratzhausen, DEU · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 65
Señor Arroz wrote:

That's a great post, Travis. Thanks for linking to it here so I could find it. 

Gracias, Senor!  Glad you liked it...(there's a few more climbing posts floating about the site, if you're interested...hahaha!)

Nate Tastic wrote: My favorite line from the article; it's the one I both agreed and disagreed with most:

It's funny, isn't it, that three of the guys from the early days of climbing who were legendary dirtbags went on to found Patagonia, The North Face and Royal Robbins. I'm sure they were criticized by their peers at the time for wanting to make money, too. 

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718
Señor Arroz wrote:

It's funny, isn't it, that three of the guys from the early days of climbing who were legendary dirtbags went on to found Patagonia, The North Face and Royal Robbins. I'm sure they were criticized by their peers at the time for wanting to make money, too. 

Black diamond too (through chouinard, who is a billionaire) 

Kyle Elliott wrote:

Black diamond too (through chouinard, who is a billionaire) 

If we're going down that road let's not forget Esprit! founded by Doug and Suzy Tompkins after selling TNF.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718
Señor Arroz wrote:

If we're going down that road let's not forget Esprit! founded by Doug and Suzy Tompkins after selling TNF. 

"Got everything, I got everything
I cannot complain, I cannot
I don't even know how much I really made, I forgot, it's a lot"

caughtinside wrote:

There's the old story where Harding called Robbins a "Fat Merchant" after starting his company.  So Robbins went out and put up the notorious Fat Merchant crack, 10b X

I grew up near Modesto, CA and for years knew Royal as that slightly grumpy guy throwing around the boxes in the back of the warehouse at the Royal Robbins outlet sales. Only later in life did I realize he was a LEGEND.

Timothy Case · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

MP called out in this one:

https://www.outdoorjournal.com/slider/joe-kinder-lynch-mob-business-usual/

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
Tradiban wrote: MP called out in this one:

What are the similarities between a discussion forum where some people express disapproval of a person's bad behavior and others defend said behavior while still others don't love said behavior but think it's not that big a deal, and a hateful racist mob that attacks, captures, often tortures, and murders people on the basis of their skin color?

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

What about GDPR can't he just say all those sites have to remove anything about him and this?

Isn't this the next step of you can't fire someone for something they say online so all these companies will have to sponsor him again or they can't sell anything in the EU?

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Em Cos wrote:

What are the similarities between a discussion forum where some people express disapproval of a person's bad behavior and others defend said behavior while still others don't love said behavior but think it's not that big a deal, and a hateful racist mob that attacks, captures, often tortures, and murders people on the basis of their skin color?

I dunno, why don't you tell us ;)

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

"On a community level, if we were really concerned with bullying, wouldn’t we have done something about the public forums on Mountain Project by now? The vitriolic spew you see there regularly reaches (maybe even surpasses) the intensity of the bullying Kinder perpetrated against DiGiulian. We’ve had ample opportunities to take a stand against thatbullying, but aside from the rare individual on the forum (who always gets shot down anyway), we haven’t. MP itself could have, but it hasn’t. The magazines that advertise on MP could have, but they haven’t. Sasha could have (not saying she SHOULD have, but she COULD have), but she didn’t. Joe’s ex-sponsor Black Diamond (who partners with MP) could have, but they didn’t. "

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Tradiban wrote: MP called out in this one:

That was super preachy. 

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.