Mountain Project Logo

City of Rocks Weather

Original Post
Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 395

Hey all,
Just want to get a gauge of how much this incoming weather pattern might disrupt climbing plans in the City of Rocks. Driving from a ways away (Eastern Sierra), so am curious as to how realistic this forecast is in terms of dropping a whole lot of precip, or whether it might dry out in between storms...
Thanks!
City of Rocks Point Forecast

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

Not looking good. Spring storms up there can be real soakers.

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 790

Also the place is quite the weather magnet.  Been there >50x and have been rain/snowed out likely 20 of them or more.  

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

I was there around this time last year. Forecast looked decent. We woke up to 4 inches of snow. The City is tricky in spring. 

M Santisi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,889

Dont want to hijack the thread but Im thinking of going to City of Rocks in August and have heard mixed reports about weather that time of year.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jeromy Markee · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 581

All three times I have been in summer, the forecast was good. Rained/crazy wind every time

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
mnjsan wrote: Dont want to hijack the thread but Im thinking of going to City of Rocks in August and have heard mixed reports about weather that time of year.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Weather is mostly stable, but hot. You'll likely want to chase the shade, which is pretty easy to do.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Forecast looks bumpy from Friday through the weekend.  It'll dry quickly especially with a bit of wind.  But my guess is it'll be wet off and on.  Doable.  Especially nice if you have a dry place to be for the wet times.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "City of Rocks Weather "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started