Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Grief Fund

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

I'd just like to remind the community that the best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. Trolls feed on attention, so if you ignore them they starve! Don't feed the trolls.

David Kerkeslager wrote: I'd just like to remind the community that the best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. Trolls feed on attention, so if you ignore them they starve! Don't feed the trolls.

Lol, I love assumptive judgemental people...who bump my threads.

Just putting some news out I found on fbook. Enjoy!
Dave Alie · · Golden, CO · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 75

When I first saw this I thought it was a nice idea but wasn't immediately clear on what exactly the fund was trying to achieve. For anyone else with a similar question:

"The Climbing Grief Fund's starting goals are: a grief resource webpage (to provide education and a community platform for sharing stories about grief or individuals lost); individual grief counseling grants; group counseling sessions at AAC Craggin' Classic events; develop a proactive response network after a trauma or death in our community."

I, for one, think this is a wonderful idea.

jason oliphant · · warren, Pa · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 20

so much grappling with tragic death in this community.
wow.

jason oliphant · · warren, Pa · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 20

:(
stay safe guys.  

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6
David Kerkeslager wrote: I'd just like to remind the community that the best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. Trolls feed on attention, so if you ignore them they starve! Don't feed the trolls.

not a troll...

https://americanalpineclub.org/climbing-grief-fund/
Tee Kay · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 110

this is great. grief is such a fundamental experience of being human, and yet, most of us dont know how to handle/cope when we lose people/or ideas of who we are/our former selves.

Chris Blatchley wrote:

not a troll...

https://americanalpineclub.org/climbing-grief-fund/

I'm aware the fund isn't a troll, but Tradiban is. I think we can have a good discussion about this topic as long as we don't feed the trolls. But let's keep this on topic, no?

I agree that one of the most productive things that can come out of climbing is a better understanding of death and tragedy, but I'm not sure how money could contribute to this. I'm not saying the money won't be used for something useful, but I'd like to understand better where this money is going. I'm sorry to bring cynicism to this situation, but there are a lot of ways in which grieving people are taken advantage of when money is involved.

EDIT: As Dave Alie pointed out, it looks like there's been some information added on where the money is going (or I didn't see it the first time I looked). Grief counseling is exactly where I'd want this money to go. It looks pretty wholesome to me.
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
David Kerkeslager wrote:

I'm aware the fund isn't a troll, but Tradiban is. I think we can have a good discussion about this topic as long as we don't feed the trolls.

Sorry, I would rather laugh and chuckle at Tradiban than shake my head and roll my eyes at some people’s posts.

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95
Bill Kirby wrote:

Sorry, I would rather laugh and chuckle at Tradiban than shake my head and roll my eyes at some people’s dissertations.

Corrected and agreed.

It's an odd name..."Climbing Grief"? I think that's what I get from my significant other. Shouldn't it be The Grieving Fund??

David Kerkeslager wrote:

I'm aware the fund isn't a troll, but Tradiban is the greatest troll to ever grace MP. I think we can have a good discussion about this topic as long as we don't feed Tradiban, the most brilliant personality ever to climb. But let's keep this on topic, no?

I agree that one of the most productive things that can come out of climbing is a better understanding of death and tragedy, but I'm not sure how money could contribute to this. I'm not saying the money won't be used for something useful, but I'd like to understand better where this money is going. I'm sorry to bring cynicism to this situation, but there are a lot of ways in which grieving people are taken advantage of when money is involved. I was once tricked into buying a whole years worth of cat food after my cat died.

EDIT: As Dave Alie pointed out, it looks like there's been some information added on where the money is going (or I didn't see it the first time I looked). Grief counseling is exactly where I'd want this money to go. It looks pretty wholesome to me.

God forbid we go off topic.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
David Kerkeslager wrote:

I'm aware the fund isn't a troll, but Tradiban is. I think we can have a good discussion about this topic as long as we don't feed the trolls. But let's keep this on topic, no?

You're the white knight we never wanted. 

MP is addicted to trolls, trolling, and being trolled. 
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

You're the white knight we never wanted. 

MP is addicted to trolls, trolling, and being trolled. 

Why does the knight have to be white?

Stephen Lander · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 12
David Kerkeslager wrote:

I'm aware the fund isn't a troll, but Tradiban is.

Making a legitimate post when you're a known troll is the ultimate troll. 

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

THIS SHET WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AT #WOODSON

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Tradiban wrote: It's an odd name..."Climbing Grief"? I think that's what I get from my significant other. Shouldn't it be The Grieving Fund??

Actually, that's a good suggestion, sir! I'm guessing it's working in that it's for climbing that they got hung up on. Perhaps grieving fund for Climbers, or climbers fund for grieving? "Grief" is awkward. The fund is a great idea, though.

Best, OLH
Stephen Lander wrote:

Making a legitimate post when you're a known troll is the ultimate troll. 

That's a very good point. I guess I fell for it. Sorry guys. :/

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

I read for what seemed like forever until something mentioning family finally appeared.

I'll probably get blasted but, it seems like already over-priveledged climbers getting it made "all about them" when the families of the fallen barely get a mention doesn't sit right.

I don't have time to deconstruct the whole thing but it certainly seems the optics are a bit off on this one. The bad name, the money does what exactly? Hire a grief counselor when someone dies climbing? And to inspire me to give money to this cause they are going to speed climb a notorious choss pile with ominous overtones?! Frankly, the whole thing is just weird and not thought through.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing Grief Fund"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started