Mountain Project Logo

FS: Gently used Climbing Rope, $50

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
pintles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 25
I have some gently used climbing rope in great condition.  I climb once or twice a year in the 5.6 to 5.8 range and have never taken a leader fall on these ropes.The lengths vary from 50 to 60 meters. The rope on the far left is only 93 feet.  I cut the rest off to use on a climbing wall.
50m = $50 + $19 for 2-3 day priority shipping
60m =$60 +$19 2-3 priority shipping
The short rope is $30 ($14 priority shipping)
I'm in Houston TX
if interested, please e-mail me directly:  pintles @ gmail
Danny Sandoval · · Reno · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 106

What's the diameter of the 50m and 60m? How old are they? 

Will Haden · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90
Danny Sandoval wrote: What's the diameter of the 50m and 60m? How old are they? 

Also curious

pintles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 25

I'm not sure of the exact diameter, but I would guess between 10.2mm and 10.8mm.  The ropes range in age from about 6 or 7 years to 8 or 9, but I don't know which is which.  I rarely climb, never fall leading, and the rope and sheath are in very good condition.  No real wear.

Dyl Alv · · Miami, FL · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 76
pintles wrote: range in age from about 6 or 7 years to 8 or 9

HA they should all be retired from climbing on at this point with that lifespan

Porter McMichael · · Issaquah, WA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 90
Dyl Alv wrote:

Debatable, ropes aren't normal soft goods. Check out the bd lab on old ropes.Youd think bd would tell you to buy a new rope every month but they actually found that 20 year old rope was just as good a brand new rope.  

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/experience-story?cid=qc-lab-old-vs-new-gear-testing
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Dyl Alv wrote:

Definitely incorrect information.  Most rope companies recommend a 10 year rope lifespan with a 5 year shelf life, for a total of 15 years, and you can bet that they are being extremely conservative.  Test data shows that as long as they are stored properly and not used there really is no lifespan.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

I bought a rope from pintles.  It was one of his new ones that a friend of his had cut for dog leash project.  Anyway, these are different but I wanted to say that pintles is a straight dude and the rope I got is awesome and he shipped way fast.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started