Mountain Project Logo

Sticky c3’s

Original Post
Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

When I contract my c3 lobes, they feel sticky and make a sandy noise.  I haven’t had much chance to use them yet, so I don’t know what’s going on.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Maybe try cleaning them? Pull the trigger rapidly, numerous times, while swirling the cam in a pan of hot water.

Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65
FrankPS wrote: Maybe try cleaning them? Pull the trigger rapidly, numerous times, while swirling the cam in a pan of hot water.

Can't the water rust them after?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

No. It's how you clean a dirty or sticky cam.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

I even boil a pot of water on the stove and manipulate the cam head in the water.   Let it dry and you can use some cam lube if you want.   I have always used a drop or  two of WD40 on the lobes and then manipulate the lobes while blowing the excess off with an air compressor.  Many of the cams I have are 20 plus years old and still working great using this method.  

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

I usually used some warm water and dish soap with a toothbrush, then scrub, then dip in some hot water to rinse, let dry, and cam lube or chain lube. 

Xan Calonne · · Yucca Valley · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 61

I have a basically new yellow c3 that does the same thing. My older red and green ones are fine though. I think after extended use and proper cleaning mentioned above, the issue goes away. ymmv.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Sticky c3’s"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.