Mountain Project Logo

Orthopedic Surgeon, Boston Area

Original Post
Villen · · Somerville, MA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 25

I have torn my right ACL; it's a full tear with retraction. First guy I saw is recommending reconstruction with a cadaver tendon and lots of PT. This may be the right advice, but he's not a climber or someone who works with a lot of climbers. Can anyone recommend an orthopedic practice or doctor in greater Boston who is familiar with our particular obsession and its consequences?

(And yes, I did search the forums for past posts before posting this!)

Thanks, all.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

This is bread-and-butter orthopedics and just about any sports medicine orthopedist will be able to take good care of you. An ACL tear is almost always a sports-related injury and the forces on your knee ligaments in dynamic sports like soccer, skiing, tennis, etc will be greater than in climbing.

Scott Martin at MGH did my follow-up after I broke my clavicle this year. He’s a nice guy. But I would go with whatever practice is in-network for your insurance.

Franana Banana · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I second JSH's recommendation for Lars Richardson at MGH. He's a straight-shooter, and if its of any confidence boost, also is the ortho for the Bruins.

He repaired my husband's two ACLs and worked with me when I broke my fibula and damaged the other parts of my knee.

The other thing you should ask/consider is the whole decision on what you want: cadaver ACL or a hamstring or patella graft. Something to consider/inquire about. Recovery time, rejection, etc. Lars did hamstring grafts for my husband since he wanted back to playing soccer ASAP, and required lots of sharp pivots, etc. With climbing, there are dynamic movements, but not as knee intensive so the cadaver might not be the worst idea.

Villen · · Somerville, MA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 25

Thanks for all the good advice, friends! I feel optimistic and well taken care of. It's great to be in a city with so many climbing-knowledgeable docs.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Orthopedic Surgeon, Boston Area"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started