Mountain Project Logo

Request for minor additions to API

Original Post
Rho Cairn · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 1

First off, I love that you expose an API! I've been enjoying it very much.

I would like to request a couple of very minor additions to the API - specifically for getTicks.

1) Add `tick_id`. Use case: If I redpoint the same route twice in the same day, it can be hard to distinguish between the two attempts or without an identifier of some sort.

2) Add `added_timestamp`. Use case: if I climb the same route twice on the same day, say once I fell and once I redpointed, it's hard to make a guess as to which climb happened first. If `tick_id` is an incrementing integer, that would suffice as well.

3) Add the user's own grade & star ratings? E.g. it would be nice get that I rated my tick as 5.10c PG and gave it 3*, but currently we can only get the averages via getRoutes

Thank you very much for the amazing web site, app, and API!

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I'll put that on my list - I often need a little 15 minute project.

Awesome, thanks! As I understand it, MP is run by volunteers, right? I there a way to offer volunteer time? I'd be happy to submit a PR for this and help out with other development when I can. 

The site and app code are written by me and several other paid staff (REI has owned this site for a few years now).  The content is moderated by well over 100 volunteers around the world.  They do an amazing job keeping up standards for the content in their geographic location.  Not every region has an admin, though Seattle is covered :)

Pushing this live now.

1. "tickId" added.
  2. For ticks, we only store the date (not the time of day) you entered as the date you climbed it.  I suggest sub-sorting by ID (which always go up) after date to get the correct order. 
  3. "userStars" and "userRating" added.  Stars are 0 (bomb) through 4, and -1 means no star rating.  userRating is a string with whatever fields you enters separated by ", ".
A row will now look something like this:
        {
            "routeId": 105758904,
            "date": "2018-05-09",
            "pitches": 1,
            "notes": "",
            "style": "Lead",
            "leadStyle": "Redpoint",
            "tickId": 114351948,
            "userStars": 3,
            "userRating": "5.10"
        },

Awesome, thank you! 

Bob Klaasic · · Westminster, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 260

@Nick,

Stoked you guys are developing out your API. I've already used the feed to build a custom KPI application. I'm curious as to what stack you guys are using for Mountain Project?

Randy Von Zee · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 19,118

Hi, where can I find documentation about the API?

Bob Klaasic · · Westminster, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 260
Randy Von Zee wrote: Hi, where can I find documentation about the API?
Link: https://mountainproject.com/data
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Request for minor additions to API"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started