Mountain Project Logo

Best PCD for TR-Soloing

Original Post
Christian Eaton · · Concord, NH · Joined May 2014 · Points: 115

Looking for some input on progress capture devices for top rope soloing that could also be useful for simul climbing. I’m looking at the Micro Traxion, Camp USA SOB, and GriGri. I know the main drawbacks and advantages to each of these but want to hear about people who have experience with these devices in these applications or have recommendations for other devices I should look into. Thanks. 

Nathan.H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

Check out the Kong Duck.  

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

This uAscend device by Grandwall is pretty cool and affordable. It's toothless, same design as the Ushba.

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 430
http://chossboys.weebly.com/theory/theory-of-simul-climbing
Those guys are psyched on the CT Roll n Lock for a simul PCD. Lots of folks (including me) use is as a TR solo PCD (paired w/ a micro traxion). Feeds smoothly. Light. Worth checking out.
june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110

I use the petzel  micro ascender

Josh Landis · · Lewisburg, PA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 75

I currently use a CT roll n lock and a micro trax combo.  I love how smooth they both feed but the roll n lock doesn't always engage my 11.4mm rope.  

Adam Hammer · · CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 509

Petzl rescue ascender. Toothless so it doesn’t chew up the rope. Micro traxion as a backup. 

ubu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 10

Microtrax, primary + secondary.  Petzl recommends against using traxions for both, but I believe it is better to have one device fully dialed than to worry about two different devices.  Don't worry about teeth on your primary device.  Your sheath will be fine.  I have hundreds of TR solo pitches with lots of falls on my current rope, and not a bit of fuzz to speak of.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Best PCD for TR-Soloing "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started