Mountain Project Logo

Female MP partner-seeking posts...

Original Post
Katie Wind · · DENVER · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 5

...and the many, many replies we get.

My question, the answers to which will be purely for my own entertainment, is this:

Why, when I (an experienced and equipped but not super strong female climber) put up a post seeking a partner/s, do I receive responses in spades? I know I'm not the only one who has observed or experienced this phenomenon. The puzzling aspect is that I know that the guys who respond aren't looking for a romantic opportunity; indeed, many already have a significant other. What gives?

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

What does it mean to receive responses in spades?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
ViperScale . wrote: What does it mean to receive responses in spades?

It means beaucoup responses.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
FrankPS wrote:

It means beaucoup responses.

And that means?

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

Your profile says you can follow low 12s.  If you are a safe belay and can reliably clean low 12s, you are a pretty attractive partner.

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166

I respond to almost all partner requests in my area, and generally with a private email. Gender is irrelevant to that response, though I have noticed, the ladies typically don’t respond back as frequently as the guys.

I guess I could flip the insinuation by saying 38 yo, married, father of two with 20+ years of climbing experience must not be what they’re looking for when they post looking for partners.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
ViperScale . wrote:

And that means?

It means "use a dictionary". :)

Jp Arico · · Plymouth · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5
ViperScale . wrote:

And that means?

Beacoup is french for “a lot” or “very much” if you’re looking to avoid the snarky response.

Climb On · · Everywhere · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

You’ve posted looking for gunks and Colorado partners, both have high populations of climbers. Why wouldn’t you expect numerous responses, especially given the grades you state you climb at? Not everything is about gender. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
James Schroeder wrote: I respond to almost all partner requests in my area, and generally with a private email. Gender is irrelevant to that response, though I have noticed, the ladies typically don’t respond back as frequently as the guys.

I guess I could flip the insinuation by saying 38 yo, married, father of two with 20+ years of climbing experience must not be what they’re looking for when they post looking for partners.

I'll climb with you, James. I'll be 38 this year, also have 2 kids, but I've only been climbing 3 years. In fact, I think I was given your beta for Birch Tree Crack. I'll let you know next time we're headed to DL.

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

I'll climb with you, James. I'll be 38 this year, also have 2 kids, but I've only been climbing 3 years. In fact, I think I was given your beta for Birch Tree Crack. I'll let you know next time we're headed to DL.

Sounds good!

Jeffrey K · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Katie Church wrote: ...and the many, many replies we get.

My question, the answers to which will be purely for my own entertainment, is this:

Why, when I (an experienced and equipped but not super strong female climber) put up a post seeking a partner/s, do I receive responses in spades? I know I'm not the only one who has observed or experienced this phenomenon. The puzzling aspect is that I know that the guys who respond aren't looking for a romantic opportunity; indeed, many already have a significant other. What gives?

Some guys just get along better with women than other men. The opposite is also true. Most of my climbing partner responses have come from women.

There's also an inherent learning benefit in belaying someone with a very different style of climbing! The women I've seen climb have generally been better technicians at the same grade as men, due to general height and muscle mass differences.
r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Do you get more women replying, too?

I suspect regardless of their relationship status a significant portion of men will gravitate towards being around attractive people rather than unattractive.

Thought experiment: Andy Kirkpatrick or Natalie Portman as your climbing partner? Tough choice....

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191

Perhaps, in addition to the other reasons above, this is a variant on the "mansplaining" phenomenon?

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Dudes dig chicks, chicks dig dudes, sometimes dudes dig dudes and chicks dig chicks but not as often as dudes digging chicks and chicks digging dudes. In climbing dudes way out number the chicks so using #science we can answer your question but I recommend not over thinking it and just focus on digging climbing.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Yeah, what gives? I stopped looking for partners in forums, only got to climb couple of times with people that responded. I’ll go out on a limb, offer my gear, car and time to total strangers to have a good time and always end up butt hurt. Then I see some chick that just started to climb, no gear, needs a ride, will be in CO in September  and responses come in spades. What gives?! 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

'Cause we don't want some dude mansplaining our way up the crag?

J Squared · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0
Katie Church wrote: The puzzling aspect is that I know that the guys who respond aren't looking for a romantic opportunity; indeed, many already have a significant other. What gives?

so you can imagine that they're not looking for a romantic opportunity..

can you imagine that they might be looking for climberfriends on behalf of their significant other, who might be more stoked about climbing with another woman??  (betasharing between men and women often is muddled  due to height/weight/ape differences)

maybe the guy has a bunch of guy friends and the gal doesn't have a bunch of gal friends?

or you know.. maybe the "climbing community" (especially those who actively post seeking climbingpartners, especially those who get on level 12 routes..) is actually much smaller than you percieve?
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

It’s a trap

Sean Kelley · · Ventura, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Girls are better climbers. Proven fact. Don't question it. 

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53
Katie Church wrote: 
The puzzling aspect is that I know that the guys who respond aren't looking for a romantic opportunity; indeed, many already have a significant other. What gives?

Are you Disappointed?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Female MP partner-seeking posts..."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started