Mountain Project Logo

temperatures around Lander, DT, Black Hills May 22- mid-Sept

Original Post
richard aiken · · El Chorro Spain · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 20

would a few of you with experience climbing in various seasons give me your opinions as to when it is usually too hot to comfortably climb in those areas? High 70s is pushing my comfortable range.
I won't be doing long multipitch so I won't be on the walls for a long time

I will start a climbing trip May 22 and end mid-Sept and want ideas of when to not be there. I can go all over the west and Canada.  Also, are any of those areas easy to find climbing partners for up to mid-5.10s
Same question about north Utah, City of Rocks
thanks

Ģnöfudør Ðrænk · · In the vicinity of 43 deg l… · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 2

For devils tower and black hills, you just need to find the shady options or get an early start.  I cant stand the heat either, but I can always find options in the shade that make the climbing worth while.  For the black hills in particular, custer state park (sylvan lake and needles highway) is usually a little cooler than the rushmore area, and there are a couple areas like raspberry rocks, hall of truth, and the gash at iron mountain that are ideal destinations for hot days.

Mr. Hummus · · SLC, Utah · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 37

Ten sleep and Wild Iris are great in the summer (June to August/September). Northern Utah has great summer crags as well. Maple is perfect right now, but we tend to climb there through the entire summer. If it gets too hot mid-summer you can check out the Uinta's. I've also climbed Victoria canyon in the black hills in September, and we had perfect temps.
We are heading to Ten sleep next week, and the weather looks stellar.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "temperatures around Lander, DT, Black Hills May…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started