Mountain Project Logo

temperatures around Denver, Boulder and RMNP May 22- mid-Spet

Original Post
richard aiken · · El Chorro Spain · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 20

would a few of you with experience climbing in various seasons give me your opinions as to when it is usually too hot to comfortably climb in those areas? High 70s is pushing my comfortable range.
I won't be doing long multipitch so I won't be on the walls for a long time

I will start a climbing trip May 22 and end mid-Sept and want ideas of when to not be there. I can go all over the west and Canada.  Also, are any of those areas easy to find climbing partners for up to mid-5.10s
Same question about north Utah, City of Rocks, Wyoming and S. Dakota (I will post similar Qs on those areas too)
thanks

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60

Denver - No climbing nearby that is worth a stop on a trip
Golden Area - Can be good all year depending on tolerance and wall choice. I usually climb Clear Creek Canyon until Late May, and June. The South Platte area can be good all year as well, again depends on wall choice. Some formations are at a higher elevation, sometimes around 8000/9000 so you can have an air temp of 60 but just bake in the sun all day.
RMNP area - May to Sept. There are areas like Lumpy ridge, or the big thompson canyon, or "the crags" that are all good climbing at high elevation. RMNP itself is probably going to be a late May for sunny objectives like spearhead but with very tricky approaches. If you don't want to deal with snow or water of any kind, July is probably going to be your start date

Tensleep Wyo is a good summer destination and the limestone sport area north of Buffalo instead of west
Climbing around Lander can be good.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Check out this MP function on area home pages:

richard aiken · · El Chorro Spain · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 20

thanks Eliot

Greg-that might be useful. how do I get to that function?

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60

Its at the bottom of any rock climbing area page.

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105744460/rmnp-rock

Scroll down.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
richard aiken wrote: thanks Eliot

Greg-that might be useful. how do I get to that function?

As Eliot said - just go to any area. Such as the three you asked about and scroll down the page. You will see the popular climb times and the average temps for those times. 

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Richard,

Your question is so broad, nobody could really answer it with a short answer.  From Denver to RMNP, the elevation ranges from 5,000 to 14,000 feet.  The nighttime lows can be below freezing and the highs can be over 100.  Snow storms and blistering heat are all fair game.  But, finding a spot with good temps is pretty easy within 90 minutes of Denver most days in summer.  

Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

Mountains are always cooler. Seek out west facing walls

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "temperatures around Denver, Boulder and RMNP Ma…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started