Mountain Project Logo

He's a big guy...

Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643
Greg D wrote: Some really bizarre deleting of posts here by the admins.  You guys are so lame.  Not the "this post violated guideline 1".  Just wiped away.  Not even offensive stuff either. 

Hey man, just to be clear, most of us "Admins" are just specifically for a State. Like I'm just Texas. I'm not a Forum Mod and have ZERO abilities to nuke, flag or otherwise anything here. Just making sure users know very few people have the ability to moderate the forum at all.

Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643
Mark E Dixon wrote:

Now Hank is going to feel attacked and delete his post :-(

No way man. I've never flagged anyone for anything and I don't have the ability to moderate the forums at all. As well, I almost always post, forget about it and never check back..

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Yeah, that was an obscure joke meant for Burchey.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Hank Caylor wrote:

Hey man, just to be clear, most of us "Admins" are just specifically for a State. Like I'm just Texas. I'm not a Forum Mod and have ZERO abilities to nuke, flag or otherwise anything here. Just making sure users know very few people have the ability to moderate the forum at all.

Definitely not pointing the finger at you. But thanks for the explanation. 

JonasMR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 6

As a big guy, if there are ledges, please anchor in.  Soft catches are great, except when they are not.  For my wife and me (195# vs 105#), without an anchor she can give a nice soft catch, but cannot guarantee I won't hit a ledge.  Even one I wouldn't hit with a heavier belayer.

For sport climbing, have folks found the Ohm reliable enough to keep a fat feller off a ledge?  Thanks.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
JonasMR wrote:
For sport climbing, have folks found the Ohm reliable enough to keep a fat feller off a ledge?  Thanks.

Yes but it takes some getting used to. Definitely can create friction when you don’t want it. 

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
JonasMR wrote: 

Yes.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
JonasMR wrote: 

Yeah, and fatty might stay off that ledge if he climbed a little harder, too. And healed up his shoulder! And...

Wait, where am I?

Jess Loves Lemons · · Golden, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I climb with someone near twice my size regularly. I rarely anchor myself. It's not a big deal. I'm about 115, he's about 220. I use and ACT, sometimes a grigri. The trick is to do a smooth lower. If you go fast and suddenly stop, you'll go up a bit. Worst case scenario, you go up and just lower yourself back down. Totally safe.

Sara Kenney · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I use the Ohm with my boyfriend and t makes a big difference but we only have a 60 lbs difference. 

Cole Paiement · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 255

To the tune of "Rich Girl by Hall and Oates"

Hes a big guy
And he'll fall real far
But you know that you'll catch him any way
You can rely on the Ohm there honey
You can rely ON THE OHM THERE HONEY

But in all seriousness, +1 for the Ohm. You can also anchor yourself to the ground but it will feel bad if this guy whips. Maybe use a dynamic line to attach yourself to the anchor? Or you can just keep your hands below the GriGri and be ready to take the ride to the first bolt.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Women's Forum
Post a Reply to "He's a big guy..."

There is ZERO tolerance for being a jerk in the Women's Forum.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.