Mountain Project Logo

Is it wet out there?

Original Post
Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

How much rain did the canyons get the past two days? Any ideas on how long until it is climbable? Was planning on community pillar tomorrow, but maybe I should go for a more south facing sunnier route? 

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

it rained, it'll probably be sat. before its really ready, south facing might be ready tom(fri)

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

It stopped raining at noon yesterday (Wednesday). We drove by Red Rock at that time and they had the loop road blocked off. Red Rock was closed presumably because of flood hazard, even after the rain stopped. This is totally baffling to me, seeing as how the BLM spent millions of dollars building two bridges along the loop road. Those bridges, which normally are totally useless because they span completely dry washes, are also apparently useless in keeping the road open during a mild rain storm (0.77" of rain spread out over 18 hours as measured at the Visitor Center). What a total waste of money those bridges represent!

John H, you sure it wasn't closed because of the wash down by the oak creek turn?

Big B wrote: John H, you sure it wasn't closed because of the wash down by the oak creek turn?

I didn't see it for myself because the loop road was closed. But I'm guessing you are correct, the wash by the Oak Creek turnoff was probably flowing across the road. They used to let cars drive through the flows, but now it seems the slightest rainstorm warrants a complete closure of the scenic drive. My point is why did they even bother spending millions on the bridges?

I feel your frustration...I wonder the same things out loud when I'm out there.

besides every local knows the money helped curb the parking issues ;)

Does Black Orpheus usually take awhile to dry out?

Being up high on a south-facing wall it does get substantial sun and it's exposed to any winds, but the lower corners are shady in the morning and the upper corners are shady in the afternoon. It is going to be warm and clear over the next couple days, I would find it too hot to climb personally, but it's more likely to be dry than a completely shady route on other side of the canyon.

Any suggestions of places to check out tomorrow to see if they are dry? Brass wall? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Is it wet out there?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started