Mountain Project Logo

Suggest Adding Crag Exposure

Original Post
Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 55

Many of the guidebooks I use include exposure (orientation) in the description of various climbing areas.  I find this to be extremely useful in deciding where to go for a day of climbing. If its a hot day, I don't want to be at a South facing crag. Often, this information is contained in the written descriptions, but not always. It would be really nice if this was a searchable (or filter) option here on mountain project. Either route by route or by crag. I imagine if this feature were made available, the crowd sourced nature of the site would quickly amend the existing database.

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

Agreed.  It can be a radio type button:  All day sun, AM sun, PM sun, or ALL day shade

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Mike Womack wrote:

Agreed.  It can be a radio type button:  All day sun, AM sun, PM sun, or ALL day shade

Problem is that can be season dependent. You would need one for the summer and another for the winter in some areas.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

Seasons could be handled better than in guide books.

Users with information include the date and hours of the sun/shade information.

Users wanting information enter the date ... or the default date is current date.  The five (?) entries closest in time are displayed.

One challenge would be complex routes where, say, one part is in shade and another is in sun - especially significant for multi-pitch routes. Perhaps just include a "mixed shade / sun" option?

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450
Vaughn wrote:

Many of the guidebooks I use include exposure (orientation) in the description of various climbing areas.  I find this to be extremely useful in deciding where to go for a day of climbing. If its a hot day, I don't want to be at a South facing crag. Often, this information is contained in the written descriptions, but not always. It would be really nice if this was a searchable (or filter) option here on mountain project. Either route by route or by crag. I imagine if this feature were made available, the crowd sourced nature of the site would quickly amend the existing database.

+100, this is an extremely useful piece of information. Ideally it would be searchable. 

Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 55

Bump, I still think this would add a lot of value.

Anthony L · · Hobo gulch · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 20
Vaughn wrote: Bump, I still think this would add a lot of value.

+1

Taylor Spiegelberg · · WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,676
http://suncalc.net

Check out this site. Just click the cliff in question and the day you plan to climb. It takes a second to understand the interface, but once you do it's incredibly helpful.

Maybe this could be integrated into Mountain Project somehow?? I'm sure this site has done that for other applications.

Thanks to Sam Lightner Jr. for showing me this!
J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926

+100

Taylor Spiegelberg · · WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,676
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

We'll be adding this feature this summer or early fall.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Nick Wilder wrote: We'll be adding this feature this summer or early fall.

That's awesome nick. Thanks for all the work you guys do. 

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
Nick Wilder wrote: We'll be adding this feature this summer or early fall.

That it awesome Nick, thanks. 

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

This is excellent news. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Suggest Adding Crag Exposure"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.