Mountain Project Logo

Wham Ridge

Original Post
Rick Howell · · ARVADA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Is it possible to climb up Wham Ridge with only a rack of nuts, tricams & hexes?  I always try hard to dig into researching & read many trip reports & exchanged emails with some people, which ranges from free to 7+ pitches.  
Knowing it's very subjective to individual comfort level of skill & exposure, it's more for a just in case situation where we may need to set a pitch or two.  
Some have brought a light rack and never used it, where some have often.  I don't own amy cams but have some experience with anchors.  Curious if Wham's route, sticking with the lower class 5 sections, is welcoming to non-cam pro.
Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated!  

MacG

WadeM · · Auburn, Ca · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 481

It was probably put up before cams, so I imagine yes. 

Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230

We climbed the "center shift" with a light rack of cams and a double set of stoppers. It is friendly to passive pro. It's also pretty easy

Kevin R · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2008 · Points: 290

When we did Wham Ridge we just brought 2 sets of nuts and that seemed fine.

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

For sure. I wouldn't bother with the tricams or hexes. It's really easy terrain. I thought the rating was pretty generous. 

Anunta Anunta · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 284

I carried a light rack of cams, some nuts and a few tricams (I use them as large nuts). You could definitely get away with just carrying nuts. I also wouldn't bother with climbing shoes--I carried a pair with me and never changed out of approach shoes. 

KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

How does Wham compare to an easy(.3-.5) Flatiron route for soloing?

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669
KevinCO wrote: How does Wham compare to an easy(.3-.5) Flatiron route for soloing?

It's like a hulked out Third Flatiron, where you can paddle up massive holds. I found myself very comfortable with the slabby nature, and climb anywhere style myself (being a flatiron slab connoisseur).

Cruxes though aren't where the holds get thin (I don't think that really happens on Wham), it's when the terrain gets a little steeper (but ledgey) Quartzite is also much slicker than the sandstone of the Flatirons. I think 5.4 for the cruxy sections is fair, with more Class 4 terrain than you can possibly imagine separating them.

I'd just solo it. The hike in is kinda long (maybe I'm lazy but bringing in a rope/rack JUST for Wham seems ridiculous), and the descent off Vestal to the south SUUUUUUUUCKS. If I ever do it again, downclimbing the route seems like it would be more appealing. For real.

It's one of my favorite Centennials, though. Jagged Mountain - relatively close by, is also a contender. Climbing on that is much more varied.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Wham Ridge"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started