Mountain Project Logo

Lovers Leap Conditions

Original Post
Alex Saingchin · · Oakland, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 50

Anyone got beta on snow/ice conditions there? Specifically thinking of getting on the Hogwild multipitch routes. Thanks!

csproul · · Pittsboro...sort of, NC · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330

Drove by last weekend. The east wall looked mostly clear but all of the descent was covered in snow. Didn't get a good look at Hogsback, but it is lower angle so it might hold snow/water longer, but it also faces the sun.

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Does the wall stay generally dry at this point in the season with the snow on top? 

Bill M · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10

I've found this to be pretty helpful..... I think McNamara keeps it updated. According to this, which was last updated on the 13th, The leap is still wet. But phantom spires or Sugarloaf is open. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ak6jQhQ0yHpZaepD88UczuEOsmyHDrx5g4L8gpAVLfM/edit#gid=0

Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646

My friend was climbing there yesterday. He says it was snowy at the base, but some of the routes were dry and the temps weren't bad!

Bat manuel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Looking for some beta for tomorrow. Hows the lower buttress looking?

Rhiannon Roulston · · Porterville Ca. · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 40

I came up here expecting to snowboard today. My friends said there was plenty of snow... Not so much. I have my shoes and harness because I was going to climb in Sacramento on the way home. Anyone need a catch? (559)719-7240. 

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Climbed today.  Hogsback area has lots if snow at the base but the routes are mostly dry.  Hogwild seemed like similar conditions..  
The lower buttress approach still has a lot of snow, but east wall had several parties on it today.  
The approach and descent from Corrugation corner etc is still covered with snow.    

Todd Boscarello · · San Cristóbal, DO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Any updates? Been a warm week wonder if it’s all clear. Campground open?

edward hart · · Lee Vining · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Campground is still closed. Climbed there Tuesday and the weather was perfect, with just a little snow on the ground on the approach and decent to Corrugation. 

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Climbed last weekend and it was very good to go. 

Craig Allen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 60

Hey all! Talking with Placerville forest service office it is unlike the Lovers Leap campground will be open this weekend (5/5). Anyone know how the pull outs on Phantom Spires look? Looking to those as an alternate to camp. Thanks!

Janet W. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Hi All! Looking for update on snow conditions at the Main Wall and Surrealistic bases and descent routes, and wall seepage? Also, anyone know whether the overflow camping access road is passable (by a Subaru Crosstrek)? Thanks!

Craig Allen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 60

Not sure exactly because we climbed east wall. Very little snow left in the shade though. Go for it. It's dry.

Wes Thompson · · Las Cruces, NM · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 117

Anyone know how the snowfall elevation has been? Is the rock free of snow? The campground?

Marcelo F · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

This is a great resource for conditions at Lover's Leap:

https://www.instagram.com/loversleapguides/

Sal F · · san francisco · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 5

Campground is open as of Friday, May 31, and all the walls are easily accessible. There's some run-off water coming down a few routes, and East Crack was a little mungie. That said, the conditions are pretty stellar at the moment.

Trevor Vichas · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 789

Conditions at the leap are wonderful right now!  Day parking is now $8 and camping is $16. 

BAd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 130

Yeah, I remember "the deal" that because of climber input in building, etc., that this would remain a "free" campground.  So it goes....  Is parking/camping free or reduced if yer an old crank with a Golden Access pass?

edward hart · · Lee Vining · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
BAd wrote: Yeah, I remember "the deal" that because of climber input in building, etc., that this would remain a "free" campground.  So it goes....  Is parking/camping free or reduced if yer an old crank with a Golden Access pass?

It’s the same deal as before. Golden age/access/America the beautiful passes cover the day use fee, and the golden age and access will cover half the camping fees. 

BAd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 130

Thanks, Edward.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Lovers Leap Conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started