Mountain Project Logo

Seeking New River Gorge info!

Original Post
Mike Rowley · · Traveling · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 76

Hey everyone! I'm planning a two week trip from the end of April until May 13th and had a few questions that I'm hoping to get some help with.

Is the NRG doable without a car? I am flying into Charleston and really hoping not to have to rent a car. I will happily pay for gas from Charleston to Fayetteville if I can hitch a ride with someone. Once I get to Fayetteville would it be easy enough to get around? 

Is there any type of community cooking area at the AAC campground? If not, anyone have experience traveling with a stove?

I'll also be looking for partners, but I'm told that shouldn't be too much of an issue once I get there.

Any beta that anyone could pass my way is appreciated!! 

Alexander Blum · · Livermore, CA · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 143

Not having a car would be a pain. It might be doable, but you would be depending on your partners to go anywhere but junkyard wall and bridge buttress. I guess it depends on your goals and level of adventurousness.

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 55

Without a car you'll be doing way more hiking than climbing - way more.

Brandon Ribblett · · The road · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 80

The AAC has a nice community area for cooking and hanging out. As mentioned above, the new is fairly spread out so having a car would be ideal. 

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

The AAC Campground fills up fast (or at last it did 2 years ago).  You might want to call in advance to see if you can reserve campsites.  If they dont have any available, check out Rays Campground (A little cheaper, plumbing, and free showers).  If you stay at Ray's you'll definitely need a car.

davidbr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 190

The AAC has a cooking area, but no facilities, so you'll need your stove. Obviously, you can't fly with fuel but you can bring the bottle. Just leave the cap off for a day or two before you go so the smell of gas is gone.

Luke Lindeman · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

You can travel with a stove as long as there's no fuel. I've traveled with multiple types of canister stoves frequently. The New is vast, but there is plenty of climbing within walking distance of the AAC campground. Junkward wall is 10 minutes away, if that, and you can set up ropes from the top of the cliff if you need to. That being said, as others have mentioned, a car is ideal. If you're friendly and find partners at the AAC campground, they'll likely be able to shuttle you to different crags. You should be fine. The proj has tons of beta on the New and Waterstone is a great resource if you can get yourself into town.

Just rent a car.

Ryan Palo · · Bend, oregon · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 605

Outside of walking along the freeway to Walmart or living off of SSS food, you'd really miss out on some kick ass areas. 

Cron · · Maine / NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 60
Chris Rice wrote: Just rent a car.

No idea what OP's financial situation is, but this is an obvious solution if you have cash to burn. Otherwise, this is a pretty low effort answer that wont fit everyone's budget. 

Maybe but he's asking opinions here.  Mine is if he wants a great "dependable" 2 week climbing trip at the New hoping for a ride from Charleston to Fayetteville and one of the campgrounds - then all around the Gorge every day - then I assume back to Charleston to fly home - he's going to need a lot of luck to make all that happen without a car or hooking up with someone with a car in advance. Finding partners should be all right but he's going to need some luck for the rest.  

Joseph DeGaetano · · Fayetteville, WV but curren… · Joined May 2008 · Points: 560

You could make a bike would work unless you are lazy, weak sport climber and fear even a 10 minute "approach".

Mike Rowley · · Traveling · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 76

This trip is coming together pretty last minute and a 2 week car rental is pretty expensive. It sounds like it may be my best bet though. Thanks everyone.

As far as climbing gear, it looks to be almost half sport/half trad. Would I be ok bringing a single set of cams and a set of nuts, or are doubles needed for most trad lines? Thanks again for all the helpful info. 

Douglas Kempthorne · · Cincinnati, OH · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 175

There's a shuttle service now, it'll get you from north of the bridge (adventures on the gorge, which is pretty close to the AAC Campground) to the various shops/stores/restaurants south of the bridge. Getting to the crags might be an issue still.

https://www.facebook.com/lewis.rhinehart/posts/10214156208316944

Luke Lindeman · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Mike, single sets will be plenty for most trad lines.

Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646

Just stay at the AAC campground and if you're a friendly dude you'll have no trouble finding climbing partners/rides. The NRG has a bunch of rad, friendly people--with cars.

TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Douglas Kempthorne wrote: There's a shuttle service now, it'll get you from north of the bridge (adventures on the gorge, which is pretty close to the AAC Campground) to the various shops/stores/restaurants south of the bridge. Getting to the crags might be an issue still.

https://www.facebook.com/lewis.rhinehart/posts/10214156208316944

That's awesome. Wish that was going when I used to be near the New

Matt M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 13

There's also a board at the AAC campground that people can post their numbers looking for partners. Obv weekends are pretty good as it can get busy if the weather's nice. You can also see about posting on the aac campground fb page.

Good luck, Mike. 

Valerie Brodbeck · · Bend, OR · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Still in the new? I'm driving through and would love a partner for a day of climbing! 937 478 0632

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115
Peter Foster wrote: Just stay at the AAC campground and if you're a friendly dude you'll have no trouble finding climbing partners/rides. The NRG has a bunch of rad, friendly people--with cars.

This. 

Rob Jarvis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 140

Even if you're not that strong of a climber is it still easy to meet partners at the AAC campground? Would be happy to belay just not that confident in climbing skills is all

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Seeking New River Gorge info! "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started