Mountain Project Logo

Patagonia Micropuff

Original Post
Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

The patagonia rep I talked to mentioned that the plumafill may be less durable than primaloft 1 in terms of stuffing/compression durability. Anyone have any thoughts to add about this jacket? 

Hannah Spendlove · · Reno, NV · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

The Micro puff is way more compressible than any primaloft jackets I have used , which is a lot . As far as durability goes.... its durable, but I mean If you want the lightest most compressible synthetic jacket you can't expect it to also be as durable as other jackets and insulation that is heavier asking for it all is like searching for unicorns. 

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

Oh I meant more of 'how long does it take for the insulation to no longer loft back up' kind of durability. PL1 packs out pretty quickly with use (like within a few months) where as down can sustain stuffing and compression for WAY longer. Obviously the jacket itself is sacrificing durability. But if it compresses like down, does it hold its loft like down too?

Personally been stuffing it since like September and its still lofty as can be :)

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

Not that I don't believe you, but it surprises me a Patagonia rep would "admit" PlumaFill's apparently shitty durability with all the marketing hype they flooded the Internet with regarding the new MicroPuff.  I wonder if HyperDAS lasts longer to continued compression due to its accordion design?

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

Pretty expansive BPL review says otherwise. I won't direct quote subscription articles, but he did talk to the lead developer who would be more knowledgeable than a rep. It's continuous insulation, so it will last significantly longer than short staple. 

To be honest I work for the company and there are people from the customer service department that get things wrong especially if you call in the winter when there are contract reps.Generally there is good education on product for all reps, but no one is perfect. In fact, I would just ask to talk to a climber when you talk to customer service if you want to get information from people who have experience using the product. But if you are worried about the durability, just buy it and if you feel like it fails you Patagonia will take it back. That's what these big outdoor company guarantees are about. I don't usually troll the proj, defending pata product but this jacket I have personally been enjoying and was offering my feedback as some one who has used the product for ice-climbing, hiking cragging, bouldering and trad climbing. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Hannah Spendlove wrote: To be honest I work for the company and there are people from the customer service department that get things wrong especially if you call in the winter when there are contract reps.Generally there is good education on product for all reps, but no one is perfect. In fact, I would just ask to talk to a climber when you talk to customer service if you want to get information from people who have experience using the product. But if you are worried about the durability, just buy it and if you feel like it fails you Patagonia will take it back. That's what these big outdoor company guarantees are about. I don't usually troll the proj, defending pata product but this jacket I have personally been enjoying and was offering my feedback as some one who has used the product for ice-climbing, hiking cragging, bouldering and trad climbing. 

Great point. It's why folks (should) prefer getting gear like this from Pata over, say, Uniqlo, Old Navy etc.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Patagonia Micropuff"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started