Mountain Project Logo

Love of climbing, disdain for climbers.

Noah Chafin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
JRZane wrote:

actually, we had a mat AND a tarp. and an ikea bag with the rope flaked in it. almost 3" had fallen in the days prior and everywhere had a few INCHES of mud.  most of the mud on the rope came from pulling the rope after cleaning it. wed watch and try to play defense to knock the rope onto the mat/tarp but nothing helped.  Thanks for the advice tho.

As far as Miguels, I was still virgin to RRG and heard from others how "cool" of a place it is to hang out.  I realize I live in the Pizza Belt and can't expect good pizza in Kentucky, but pretty much everything about the place was a disappointment (except for the history and their contribution to climbing in the area.)

Yo a pro tip would be to pull your tarps directly under the fall zone of the route to prevent the rope from going off into the mud. This will help prevent the un-wanted muddy rope! Sucks you had a bad experience but from the sounds of it you didn’t come to the Red a ray of sunshine yourself and if you experienced negativity it was only because of the negativity you were releasing in the atmosphere. Stay positive and love every moment :) 

JRZane · · Jersey · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 95
Mike Byrnes wrote:

#yourprojismywarmup 

yeah, i see that via all your recent 5.7 ticks.

thank you for the clearest possible illustration of all three of my points in one single post.
DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

sar·casm /noun

1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
im·per·cep·tive /adjective

1. lacking in perception or insight.
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

It was my first time at the Red, and I totally loved it.  Anyone thinking of visiting, don't let this thread deter you.

I had a great visit in 2006 as well. I'm not sure if we ate at Miguel's, but we car camped right out on the lawn next to them.

It's that Gunks place you have to look out for. Lots of old weirdos with pipes, crazy women, and...wait. Just looking at some old photos. Oh, that was us. 

ETA: and there were no didgeridoos.

Brilliant!
Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
Tim Stich wrote: I had a great visit in 2006 as well. I'm not sure if we ate at Miguel's, but we car camped right out on the lawn next to them.

It's that Gunks place you have to look out for. Lots of old weirdos with pipes, crazy women, and...wait. Just looking at some old photos. Oh, that was us.

Brilliant!

The Gunks (and I) still miss you, buddy!  Please drop me a line if you end up coming back out east!!!!!!!!!

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

"John Bachar used to hide in the bushes near Midnight Lightning, waiting for unsuspecting noobs to flail on it. After a bit their flopping he'd pop up out of nowhere, blast a send and just walk away."

Wait, what?   Are you sure?   Never knew he was a loser like that.   This story sounds bogus.  

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Warrior wrote:

Just quintessential sandbag JB...jmo.  That story was out of a Gullich book, who details a few other good ones iirc.

"Le Blond".  RIP

I thought "Le Blond" was the nickname of Patrick Edlinger. RIP either way... 

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

The Gunks (and I) still miss you, buddy!  Please drop me a line if you end up coming back out east!!!!!!!!!

Miss you, too. Let me know if you ever visit Colorado of course!

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960
Kris Fiore wrote:

Yeah, I feel like this has some truth to it. Sometimes the better the climbing venue the more obnoxious the climbers.

Of course, the exception obviously would be Vermont. We're all super friendly and somehow the climbing is pristine and clean with reliable warm sunny days 9 months out of the year.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure I've seen the sun since I moved up in Feb! Really stoked to get out once my fractured collar bone is healed up and I'm cleared to be active again...

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Morgan Patterson wrote:

Hmmmm... I'm not sure I've seen the sun since I moved up in Feb! Really stoked to get out once my fractured collar bone is healed up and I'm cleared to be active again...

Me either.. I went ice climbing in sleet rain and snow last weekend, it’s April!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Love of climbing, disdain for climbers."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started