Mountain Project Logo

Best toe bails for G2 SM?

Original Post
Sterling Falconer · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I use a petzl lynx crampon but the toe bail that comes with it doesn’t fit securely with my G2’s. Anyone have alternative toe bails? 

Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86

My Rambo's fit great, for what that is worth

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

cassin

Are you guys talking about the full crampons or just the toe bails that are used for that those particular crampons? I'm trying to find a toe bail that will fit the G2 toe welt and will fit the Petzl Lynx slot holes for WI4 climbing.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Grivel crampons fit my G2SMs well.

Nick Sweeney wrote: Grivel crampons fit my G2SMs well.

Would their toe bails fit the lynx?

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Sterling Falconer wrote:

Probably not.  I have friends who have tried to swap toe bails on crampons - honestly, it seems that it is more work than it is worth.  Consider selling your current ones and picking up another pair.  

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
Sterling Falconer wrote:

I put the basket version of the cassin toe bail on a pair of irvis hybrids by petzl because it was more comfortable with my approach shoes. the whole petzl system is universal so I imagine the cassin wire bail would fit Petzl lynx too. TBH though i would sell the lynx and get blade runners on sale during the summer, they just work so much better with G2SM's, I hated using my lynx with those boots. Bought blade runners the next day after trying them on my G2's/

Stever · · WA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 56
Sterling Falconer wrote: I use a petzl lynx crampon but the toe bail that comes with it doesn’t fit securely with my G2’s. Anyone have alternative toe bails?

Did you figure this out?
cheers
Stever wrote:
Did you figure this out?
cheers

No I tried using other toe bails from other companies with the lynx but didn't work. I guess if it's good enough for some athletes to use the Petzl toe bail with the G2 it's good enough for me. 

Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10

With my G20 crampons the curve of the bail didn’t match the curve of my La Sportivas. My old Rambo bails were a better fit. A dealer rep gave me a tip to mount the bail in frame asymmetrically, ie center hole on one side and forward or rear hole on the other. It makes a small improvement on how the bail meets the boot. Not sure if this would help as you didn’t mention the exact issue. 

Josh · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,140

So, this is probably YGD territory, but has anyone tried bending the toe bails on a pair of modern crampons to better fit a narrower toe welt?  I have a pair of BD crampons with a toe bail that is a bit too wide for the very pointy toe welt on my older-model Scarpa Phantom Guides.  I've wondered about trying to bend the toe bail a bit to get it to hit more of the toe welt, but of course I've hesitated to actually do so because, you know, metal fatigue and all (assuming I could even get the metal to hold a new shape, since I think it's stainless steel?).

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

BD stingers with narrow bail work great on my G2SM’s (and G5’s). Not sure if that bail would work on your pons. 

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95
Josh wrote: So, this is probably YGD territory, but has anyone tried bending the toe bails on a pair of modern crampons to better fit a narrower toe welt?  I have a pair of BD crampons with a toe bail that is a bit too wide for the very pointy toe bail on my older-model Scarpa Phantom Guides.  I've wondered about trying to bend the toe bail a bit to get it to hit more of the toe welt, but of course I've hesitated to actually do so because, you know, metal fatigue and all (assuming I could even get the metal to hold a new shape, since I think it's stainless steel?).

I’ve bent several toe bails with no issues. I put them on the boot then hammer away on the toe bail until it conforms to the shape of my boot. 

Granted this was years ago with plastic boots and chromolly steel. One thing I’d watch for doing this with newer narrow boots it might bring your boot too far forward in the crampon and reduce front/secondary point protrusion. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best toe bails for G2 SM?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started