Mountain Project Logo

Can anyone help me figure out a specific rope coiling technique I saw many years ago

Original Post
dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 56

Several years ago I climbed with this guy from Reno whose name I can't remember. He showed me a way to coil a rope so that you can throw it in between the shoulder straps and back panel of your pack.

Essentially you would coil one half of the rope and then coil the other half of the rope leaving about a foot or so in between both coils that would fit snugly in between your pack's shoulder straps and back.

It has been a while and I can't remember the exact technique... I have trouble figuring out how to tie each coil off without the rope being a mess when i go to flake it.

If anyone can remember how to do this or even the name of the method so I can look it up I would be grateful.

Also will take any opinions on why this is a bad idea... I've got a gregory z35 which doesn't have a rope strap or brain to throw the rope under so this is the method I'd like to use when packing the bag for alpine missions(otherwise I'd just carry the rope in a bag over my shoulder).

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112369346/type-of-coil#ForumMessage-112369950

For it to carry securely, you need to use a pack where the top of the pack is at least a couple of inches higher than the shoulder strap attachment point.
aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300
dsauerbrun wrote: Also will take any opinions on why this is a bad idea... I've got a gregory z35 which doesn't have a rope strap or brain to throw the rope under so this is the method I'd like to use when packing the bag for alpine missions(otherwise I'd just carry the rope in a bag over my shoulder).

Doesn't your pack have side compression straps? Why not just use the modified butterfly coil? You coil the rope as you usually do for a butterfly coil, but instead of wrapping it like you want to do the backpack coil, just wrap the rope in the middle like you're wrapping tape around your finger (that's the best way I can describe it), tie off the end, drape it over your backpack, and use the side compression straps to cinch it down.

FrankPS wrote: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112369346/type-of-coil#ForumMessage-112369950

unfortunately it's not the new england coil that was listed in there(the coil that this guy showed me had only a single strand of rope that you'd throw over your pack as opposed to this one that just has a massive "barrel" of rope that might not fit too snugly behind your shoulder straps).

I googled the swiss coil(which I think might actually be the one I'm looking for since he mentioned a european guide showing him this) and couldn't find anything online :(
Marty C · · Herndon, VA · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 70

Try treating it as "butterfly coiling 2 separate ropes"

Leave 2 arm lengths of rope and then butterfly coil the rope till you get to the middle. Use the 2 arm lengths of loose rope to tie off the butterfly coils.

Do the same thing on the other half of the rope leaving your "1 foot of single strand rope" between the two coils.

Hang the 1 foot section between your pack and back and have the two coils hang on either side.

Marty C wrote: Try treating it as "butterfly coiling 2 separate ropes"

Leave 2 arm lengths of rope and then butterfly coil the rope till you get to the middle. Use the 2 arm lengths of loose rope to tie off the butterfly coils.

Do the same thing on the other half of the rope leaving your "1 foot of single strand rope" between the two coils.

Hang the 1 foot section between your pack and back and have the two coils hang on either side.

that's pretty much it, I'm mostly looking for an easy way to tie off the two butterfly coils... I'm trying to avoid having to feed one coil through another in order to kind of hitch them together because it turns into a shitshow when you flake the rope

Ryanb. · · Chattanooga · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 5

canyoneering double coil

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/mag/issue1/coil1.htm​​​

Ryanb. wrote: canyoneering double coil

​http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/mag/issue1/coil1.htm​​​

bingo! that's the one, thanks!

Looks like the part I was missing was when you pull some rope through the pinhole of one of the coils you need to flip the loop over the rope.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Can anyone help me figure out a specific rope c…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started