Mountain Project Logo

Smith Rock rope gun needed. Will be belay bitch

Original Post
AliciaC · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 30

Hey, looking at coming to Smith next week for a couple of days starting the night of April 25th, plan to camp in the bivy. Looking for someone who wants to climb one of the many moderate multis on the 26th. I can lead sport but its been awhile, and I'm totally fine at following trad just havent ever led trad, though I do own and can bring my partial trad rack with me. Looking to do any 5.6-5.8 multis potentially. 

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

How're your soft catch skills if I wanna clip permadraws?

I'm pretty solid at soft catches, though I cant think of many moderate/easy routes that would warrent having permadraws on them. Aren't those usually on hard overhanging routes? 

You are correct. I'm down for all day easy, high volume. But it's a plus to have a belay that won't slam me into the wall if we have the time and will to get me on a route with difficulty that's high enough to be equipped with permadraws. I like my hard pullin', too! 

Hey I'd be down to belay you on anything you want, even things above my grade as long as you are willing to lead me up some easier stuff too :P I can belay on any level haha 

Great! I've climbed 3 big walls! We shall bag many pitches! 

Oh wow which 3 big walls have you climbed? I dream of one day sleeping on a portaledge haha tallest thing ive climbed is a 650 ft route, and i followed the whole thing since i dont lead trad yet

NW face half dome. Steck-Salathe on sentinel. And left of dinner ledge on Washington column. Portaledged it on half dome! Dreamy nights and mornings! A LOT of labor! 

Meghanne Reburn · · Garabaldi Highlands · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hey if either of you are free 19-26th I’m game for anything and everything. I’m likely staying with a friend in Bend so not at the campground. 

I'll be flying into Seattle at like 4pm on the 25th, and driving straight down to Bend from there, so will be arriving to the bivy kinda late I think on the 25th. But am definitely down for anything on the 26th. I have done some multis at Smith in the past, like pioneer route Monkey face and First Kiss routes come to mind. Haven't been to Smith in over a year though! I did just spend last week climbing at Joshua Tree though, but before that I really haven't been climbing a ton the last few months cus I'm living in a boring town in South Carolina for work the last couple months, but thankfully I'm done here in 2 weeks and then heading back your guys way :) Then I may actually be meeting up with a friend in Eugene the weekend of the 28th for a white water rafting trip, not sure yet cus that's weather dependent. But if that doesn't work out I'll just stay at Smith longer haha Eventually I'll be making my way back up to WA and then flying to Anchorage to visit a friend there May 5th. So right now I am definitely down for anything on April 26th at the very least :P 

I climbed West Pioneer Route during my last trip there. Fun little climb. It got speed soloed in 3.5 mins or something via the original start. So much action and history on such a small tower. It's crazy. 

oh wow 3.5 minutes? that's insane! The climbs I'd love to get on while at Smith by the way, include Super Slab, Spiderman, and maybe Wherever I May Roam if you are down for any of those. Not sure how I'd actually do on WIMR though cus I really haven't been climbing much the last few months and 5.9 is kind of at my limit right now I think, but the pics from the top look so epic! 

Sure! Super slab is a good lil 2 or 3 pitch jaunt. I climbed Zebra Zion 5.10b 4 pitches. The crux for me was a very short 4 move layback section to a no - hands rest. I'd love to run a lap up that again to one day, hopefully, solo it. Then, the walk off runs you right alongside super slab (we could do it the other way around, too).

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
AliciaC wrote: oh wow 3.5 minutes? that's insane! The climbs I'd love to get on while at Smith by the way, include Super Slab, Spiderman, and maybe Wherever I May Roam if you are down for any of those. Not sure how I'd actually do on WIMR though cus I really haven't been climbing much the last few months and 5.9 is kind of at my limit right now I think, but the pics from the top look so epic! 

Hey, Alicia, 5 nothing was kinda my limit, last season, lol! Paul very gratiously gave me more than a little coaching at our gym this winter, and it has been great! He's a super good guy, safe, a strong climber, and fun. My game is entirely changed, thanks, Paul!

TLDR? Great partner, have fun!

Best, OLH

I see you guys are both from Idaho? Paul, how long do you plan on hanging out at Smith Rock for? I'm a travel nurse and haven't actually signed my next contract yet haha but unfortunately leaving my car in Maryland when I fly out to the PNW for my month I'm taking off. May hit up New Hampshire or Colorado for the summer. But I also really just miss the PNW and am also contemplating just driving out that way and cancelling my flight and taking my next contract back in Oregon or Washington. I haven't really been to Idaho much, how do you guys like Boise? Paul, definitely excited to climb with you on the 26th :) If you happen to have FB, you can easily find me and shoot me a friend request by searching for "Alicia Carroll Totalmed" haha

Couldn't tell you. I just moved to Utah for jobs at the drop of a hat. I live in a vehicle, so I can do things like that! I'd hate to bail on Smith rock, as I love any opportunity to get a belay out there. So I'll keep you in that loop. I added Alicia M Carroll, and haven't gotten a response. All the climbing around Idaho should be perfect by the time you're around the PNW.

Edit: I tried your latest search criteria. Found ya. 

so Paul informed me that he most likely can't be at Smith Rock while I'm there anymore cus of working in Utah now.... so if there are any other takers for a rope gun on the 26th next week, definitely hit me up. I can also supply a second female travel nurse to our climbing day hahaha she just doesn't have much outdoor experience so we still need a rope gun :P us travel nurses promise to keep you extra safe on the wall though! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest Partners
Post a Reply to "Smith Rock rope gun needed. Will be belay bitch "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started