Mountain Project Logo

Stolen bag / gear around SLC?

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/51781967

Looks like someone's bag was picked up. Definitely not worth $1500 dollars. People almost always share their phone number on KSL and this seller did not.
Drew Nevius · · Broken Arrow, OK · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,546

No kidding. Way to be on the look out Creed. Hope the owner gets it back

Mark Berenblum · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105

But like what in the world activity was this person involved in when this bag was stolen? This is a strange collection of items to gear up with.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
Mark Berenblum wrote: But like what in the world activity was this person involved in when this bag was stolen? This is a strange collection of items to gear up with.

That is true. I could be way off. I just posted it in case someone on here could id the bag or gear. There are a decent number of break ins at the SLC climbing areas. 

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

3 hexes, 2 cams plus a couple aid peices? WTF? plus all the purple webbing and cord?

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

maybe this was what the climber left in the car when they went to a crag

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Emailed to ask questions. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Why is it so expensive?

"Hi Greg ,I spent an afternoon on line pricing each and every piece of the gear from multiple retailers , the figure I came up with was over $ 1700.00 after discounting the figure to eliminate sales tax , shipping charges and not charging for the static line , runners , extensions and lamps the number I’m comfortable with is 1500.00 if you would like I will send you the itemized list and you can research and compare the cost as I have , all of the gear except the static line HAS NEVER BEEN USED . Thank you for your interest , cheers ! "

Where did you get it?

"Hi Greg , I purchased most of it from R.E.I. , some of the carabiners were picked up at the outdoor retailers show and the static line was given to me by a friend that did R&D for Black Diamond ."

Overall it seems super shady to me. But I am definitely biased.

Mark Berenblum · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105

Would have to agree that all sounds pretty shady, especially given that REI doesn't sell hooks or pitons as far as I can tell.

NCD · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 50
Mark Berenblum wrote: Would have to agree that all sounds pretty shady, especially given that REI doesn't sell hooks or pitons as far as I can tell.

20+ years ago REI even had their own branded climbing gear with their name engraved in the hardware. I have a collection of stuff my dad bought there that looks super similar. 

I don’t have any of the other stuff with me, but for example a bail biner I have lying around,
Adam Hoke · · Lander, WY · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 7

Really guys? Let’s be honest: no one would steal hexes.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started