Mountain Project Logo

First ascentionists: What's the worst thing you've ever done a first ascent of?

Original Post
David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Spray about it

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

A pile of rotting fish?

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I named one heap House of cards. led the 1st pitch  up a loose brushy chimney 5.6  or so.  made belay on a rotten ledge under tons of loose stacked blocks which had been hidden from below by all the nice shrubbery. drilled a single bolt and bailed.

Mark Dalen · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,002

In 1992 I did what was I suspect was a first ascent on the NE face of Orizaba ... I did it by accident, aiming for the N face but starting up too early, ascending between the trough that is the backside of the Sarcofago & the huge icicle that overhangs the upper NE face ... after crossing the trough in a hail of stones the route follows an ice ramp that was nice enough but dumped me out on a high angle scree field about 50 meters wide ... sliding toward the void at every step, I sprinted for a large flat stone in the middle & perched on it, like some rock surfer at 16K feet, though it stayed more or less in place while I caught my breath before dashing across the remainder ... the mixed ground to follow was okay & I ended up chimneying up the moat between rock and the hanging part of the Jamapa glacier ... back down in his compound I showed Senor Reyes my route on a photo on his wall ... I don't think he believed me ... I didn't blame him ...

Salamanizer Ski · · Off the Grid… · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 18,929

I have done many. Sometimes its hard to judge the quality of a route looking up at it from the ground. 

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090
Salamanizer suchoski wrote:

I have done many. Sometimes its hard to judge the quality of a route looking up at it from the ground. 

That's why I tend to do mine from top down, when possible 

Bootz Ylectric · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 165

This prehistoric choss pile

Aaron Livingston · · Ouray, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 330

Climbed a new route that i thought was a splitter handcrack. Turned out to be a completely detached pillar that was probably something like 3 feet wide X 3 feet deep for its entire 70 foot length. It resonated loudly and was all OW, not a handcrack. To this day I have no idea how that pillar stays attached. Not recommended, chalked it up as a learning experience.

R E R · · Southern California · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,930

The project of that one guy in the gym, and his girlfriend. Send party!

David Bruneau · · St. John · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 2,520
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/110689446/impending-doom

Toss up between this, or a two pitcher called "Sand Castle" that ended on a ledge with no pro in the middle of the wall, that required 20 feet of 5.8 downclimbing to a gravelly crack you could bail from. 
Andrew Gram · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 3,725
Trump Tower, though to be fair I did spend a year combing the desert for the worst turdpile of an unclimbed tower to bestow this name on.  
climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10
Andrew Gram wrote: Trump Tower, though to be fair I did spend a year combing the desert for the worst turdpile of an unclimbed tower to bestow this name on.  

Why is there not a separate thread for this gem....

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Variation #3 is a nasty wet pigeon/pooped- filled, crab crawl thru a bombbay chimney(5.6/7?). . .

the bush now blocks, V2

along the lines of needing to make the most of what you find lying around
Gotta Play With What You Got @18,On the way to Wier F NO WHITE STUFF PLEEZE ! Really I like this stone, its not a 'worst' to me
# 18

Then again there is one smaller but it has a splitter that is worth a TR

Chris Little · · Albuquerque N.M. · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Andrew Gram wrote: Trump Tower, though to be fair I did spend a year combing the desert for the worst turdpile of an unclimbed tower to bestow this name on.  

Sounds to me like he lives rent free in your head. Lots of room there?

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

In 2010 Tarbuster, Eric, and I hiked up to a fin of some really shitty metamorphic rock (I think) in Boulder Canyon. Roy climbed the Fin of Krappe and brought up Eric. I declined the invitation to stand on the top. To our knowledge it has not been repeated.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

"I didn't do it nobody saw me you got nothing on me."

What esteemed statesman said that?

Mark Dalen · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,002
Chris Little wrote:

Sounds to me like he lives rent free in your head. Lots of room there?

Ah, the good old days in America - before a moderate chortle became a cosmic joke ...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "First ascentionists: What's the worst thing you…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started