Mountain Project Logo

Bright Climbing Pants

Original Post
Stephen Elosa · · Frederick, MD · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

At the crag last weekend, I overheard a pair of climbers making snide comments about another climber's bright yellow pants, while he was hangdogging a 10c and shouting in frustration. The pair of climbers got on some 12s but neither were wearing bright pants. It would seem that one must climb a certain grade in order to be allowed to wear bright pants? I was not familiar with this notion.

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

Style matters. If youre gonna fuck around (and purposefully draw attention to yourself or creation), you cant fuck up. Yelling in frustration is immature and very poor form.  

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Stephen Elosa wrote: At the crag last weekend, I overheard a pair of climbers making snide comments about another climber's bright yellow pants, while he was hangdogging a 10c and shouting in frustration. The pair of climbers got on some 12s but neither were wearing bright pants. It would seem that one must climb a certain grade in order to be allowed to wear bright pants? I was not familiar with this notion.

Bright pants are obviously not allowed on anything under 5.13, that is unless it is just your warm up, and in that case, you can hangdog your way up any route while wearing bright pants as long as you have loudly procalimed to anyone within earshot that the route you are about to hangdog your way up is in fact just a warm up.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Its kinda like the Lycra days. If you are gonna prance around like a Nancy Boy you better back it up with some real he-man doggin'.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

It's one of those sexist things. Girls are allowed to wear bright colors on any climb, or even when they aren't climbing at all. But guys are really pushing it if they flail on anything under 5.12 in bright-colored pants. If they climb 5.12, they can wear yellow, blue or red. If they climb 5.13, they can now get away with pink and purple. And if they climb 5.14, they can even have unicorns on their shirts!!!

How about a shirt where the purple Unicorn shits rainbows?

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Lena chita wrote: It's one of those sexist things. Girls are allowed to wear bright colors on any climb, or even when they aren't climbing at all. But guys are really pushing it if they flail on anything under 5.12 in bright-colored pants. If they climb 5.12, they can wear yellow, blue or red. If they climb 5.13, they can now get away with pink and purple. And if they climb 5.14, they can even have unicorns on their shirts!!!

When is it OK to wear patterned tights?

Stephen Elosa · · Frederick, MD · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Lena chita wrote: It's one of those sexist things. Girls are allowed to wear bright colors on any climb, or even when they aren't climbing at all. But guys are really pushing it if they flail on anything under 5.12 in bright-colored pants. If they climb 5.12, they can wear yellow, blue or red. If they climb 5.13, they can now get away with pink and purple. And if they climb 5.14, they can even have unicorns on their shirts!!!

Where do skulls fall in the grade range spectrum?

amarius wrote:

5.15b or above currently, but that number will go up as the sport progresses.

Stephen Elosa wrote:

Skulls are typically only worn by the sport rappers which generally means anything below about 5.4.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
King Tut wrote: Its kinda like the Lycra days. If you are gonna prance around like a Nancy Boy you better back it up.

What does prancing have to do with the color of your pants? How does one back up prancing, with some more prancing, for redundancy?

It is such an American thing... Go to Europe, and everyone wears bright clothes. Makes for much better pictures.

I could never figure out why guys here are allowed to wear bright-colored tshirts or down jackets, but not pants. Then it dawned on me, that's because they are very worried that someone would look at their butts, instead of focusing on their impressive pecs... And They might accidentally catch the gayness?

amarius wrote:

5.15, duh! 

Are you asking if you can borrow my carabiner tights? 

Stephen Elosa wrote:

Skulls have a double-peak distribution. You can wear then if you are a 5.6 gumby. Or at least a 5.11 climber. But not in the 5.8- 5.10 range. 

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 70

They probably have insignificant genitalia.

skinny legs · · Beast Coast · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 87
King Tut wrote: Its kinda like the Lycra days. If you are gonna prance around like a Nancy Boy you better back it up with some real he-man doggin'.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Lena chita wrote:

Are you asking if you can borrow my carabiner tights? 

YOUR carabiner tights would be biker shorts for me, with needless compression at certain areas ;)

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

i wear bright colored pants under grey tear off pants in case i unexpectedly send a 12+. then i just tear those gumby pants off and people know.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205
Nate Tastic wrote: At what grade can one opt to wear airbrushed on pants or no pants at all?

That would be 12+, at night, with a watermelon hanging between your legs. 

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

you guys wear pants when you climb? who knew? ...

Em Cos wrote:

What does prancing have to do with the color of your pants? How does one back up prancing, with some more prancing, for redundancy?

Like this:

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZJlesIV8TnabS/giphy.gif

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Bright Climbing Pants"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started